password timeout problem - SunOS 4.1.3

Post by Harr » Sun, 01 Apr 2001 23:48:29

There's a machine here that damands any user change password upon each
new login, regardless of time elapsed between logins. I'll be damned
if I can see where this is set. No cron or at jobs are running and I
don't know where else to look. The man page says a -1 (one) switch
will turn off password aging for any user, but no joy. Can anybody
suggest?

password timeout problem - SunOS 4.1.3

Post by Lars Tunkran » Mon, 02 Apr 2001 02:50:34

Happend to an old system I once managed when the Battery that
held the CMOS died.  So the Date always reverted to January 1
1970 at every reboot.
This apperantly screewd up the password aging routine.

> There's a machine here that damands any user change password upon each
> new login, regardless of time elapsed between logins. I'll be damned
> if I can see where this is set. No cron or at jobs are running and I
> don't know where else to look. The man page says a -1 (one) switch
> will turn off password aging for any user, but no joy. Can anybody
> suggest?

> Thanks,

Lars Tunkrans
ICL Distinguished Engineer,
SUN Certified Network Administrator
Microsoft MCP MCP+I MCSE MCSE+I

password timeout problem - SunOS 4.1.3

Post by Keith Thompso » Mon, 02 Apr 2001 11:11:31

[...]

Quote:> I didn't know SUNOS 4.x could password age.  IIRC it hasn't shadow
> file.  There's something called /etc/adjunct/security/ but I don't
> know how to set it up or how it works.

FWIW, my 4.1.3 system doesn't have /etc/adjunct/security.  It's
probably optional.

"man passwd" shows a "-x" option:

     -x numdays username
          Set the expiration time of the password  for  username.
          Can only be set by the super-user.

You might try something like "passwd -x 25000 username" for each user.
That covers the range from 1970 to 2038.  (Disclaimer: I haven't tried
this.)

--

San Diego Supercomputer Center           <*>  <http://www.sdsc.edu/~kst>
Cxiuj via bazo apartenas ni.

Post by Harr » Mon, 02 Apr 2001 21:20:04

>[...]
>> I didn't know SUNOS 4.x could password age.  IIRC it hasn't shadow
>> file.  There's something called /etc/adjunct/security/ but I don't
>> know how to set it up or how it works.

>FWIW, my 4.1.3 system doesn't have /etc/adjunct/security.  It's
>probably optional.

>"man passwd" shows a "-x" option:

>     -x numdays username
>          Set the expiration time of the password  for  username.
>          Can only be set by the super-user.

>You might try something like "passwd -x 25000 username" for each user.
>That covers the range from 1970 to 2038.  (Disclaimer: I haven't tried
>this.)

I glad you've posted this, I was beginning to question the accuracy of
my own facts after Michael's reply.

Our box does have /etc/adjunct/security, but I think it is optional as
you say. I was wrong earlier when I quoted the man page, which is in
fact a little sparse in dealing with password ageing - I got the info
from a unix book in which it says:

<user> -x -1      (minus one, or any negative value)

will turn off ageing. No luck though as I said. I'll give 25000 a go.

Didn't suspect cmos or even look at the date. Will check tomorrow when
I get back into work. I'm a bit bewildered by the problem I must say.

Harry

1. Password problem in SunOS 5.6

I have been experiencing a problem with changing passwords on a SunOS
5.6 system on SPARC.

It appears that some hidden/null characters are being entered into
either the /etc/passwd or /etc/shadow files. The result is that root
can su to the user, but all normal logins are rejected. Doing a passwd -
df <username> doesn't help either, the only workaround being to
manually delete the entries from /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow, running
pwconv, re-entering the details and running pwconv again.

 Obviously this isn't an ideal solution, and so any assistance would be
appreciated, even if it's someone saying that it's a known bug.

 Thanks

 Julian

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

2. ioctl call

3. SunOS 4.1.3 password problem

4. AcceleratedX & memory

5. How to timeout on socket accept (SunOS)

6. Problem: Blank screen in X (Diamond S3 964)

7. STL map problem on sunOS 5.7, not on sunOS 5.8

8. gmtime(): Doesn't account for leap seconds?!

9. timeout for read under SunOS 4.1.3

10. NFS perf/timeout to SunOS via CSLIP

11. NFS write timeouts between Irix 5.3 / SunOS 5.4

12. "panic: system bus error timeout" on SunOS 4.1.3

13. SunOS 5.6/SUNW,Ultra-2: WARNING: High TCP connect timeout