bt848 video capture driver

Post by Paul Dougl » Fri, 13 Jun 2003 19:19:12

I wonder if anyone has had any experience of using this driver (from
bt848x/sourceforge.net)?  I'm trying it out in an Ultra 30 fitted with an
unbranded video capture card using a standard Brooktree 848 (running
Solaris 9).

The driver doesn't attach at boot, but I can get it to run using modload.

I was hoping originally to be able to use it with sunforum, but it
stubbornly refuses to recognise that the machine has a video capture card.
I have tried using the video4linux software you can get from the same site
as the driver (having also installed the Sun medialib and SDL packages).
This does produce a result, but it's terrible - depending on which device
(0 to 3) I try, I get either a colour or monochrome image; either way it's
very poor quality and mirror image reversed left to right.

Someone suggested trying VIC which I have installed but this again doesn't
seem to work.  I run it from SDR as suggested on the VIC website.  The
video thumbnail just contains a fragment of what's on the screen, and there
doesn't seem to be any config option on the menu (certainly nothing that
corresponds to the VIC configuration documentation).

The camera I'm using is a fairly basic Philips model (XC75B/460) borrowed
from work: not great but certainly able to produce decently watchable
images.

I'd welcome any suggestions for how to go about capturing video (easily! -
I don't have a great deal of time to spend on this right now).

The computer does have USB and Firewire ports if that helps, in the shape
of a Belkin PCI card, which seems to work ok on the couple of USB devices
I've tested.  I see Jrgen Keil has a driver for a Logitech camera, but
I've no idea what software this might work with.  Since I'll have to buy a
camera of my own if I can get this to work, I could get one of those as
easily as any other.  I presume this is a USB device?  There's also some
sort of Sun firewire camera, but it presumably goes with a video capture
card from Sun, not just a simple firewire port?

All I want to be able to do, btw, is chat with family at home while I'm at
work, nothing terribly serious or needing ultra high quality or complex
session management.  The Ultra 30 is the home machine.

Many thanks - Paul.

bt848 video capture driver

Post by Michael Laajane » Fri, 13 Jun 2003 19:26:12

HI,

> The computer does have USB and Firewire ports if that helps, in the shape
> of a Belkin PCI card, which seems to work ok on the couple of USB devices
> I've tested.

Intressting, what driver and what PCu board are you using?

Quote:> I see Jrgen Keil has a driver for a Logitech camera, but
> I've no idea what software this might work with.  Since I'll have to buy a
> camera of my own if I can get this to work, I could get one of those as
> easily as any other.  I presume this is a USB device?  There's also some
> sort of Sun firewire camera, but it presumably goes with a video capture
> card from Sun, not just a simple firewire port?

 From what I have read Pyrotech standard 1394 camera should work, I have
not tried it myself, but I you do please let us know.

/michael

bt848 video capture driver

Post by Philip Bro » Sat, 14 Jun 2003 03:20:52

>...  There's also some
>sort of Sun firewire camera, but it presumably goes with a video capture
>card from Sun, not just a simple firewire port?

no, just the basic firewire port on a sunblade, or equivalent.

Quote:>All I want to be able to do, btw, is chat with family at home while I'm at
>work, nothing terribly serious or needing ultra high quality or complex
>session management.  The Ultra 30 is the home machine.

well, if it has a firewire port, you should be able to use that.
Although you also have to use the sunforum software, from what I hear.

--
  http://www.blastwave.org/ for solaris pre-packaged binaries with pkg-get
    Organized by the author of pkg-get

                            http://www.spamlaws.com/state/ca1.html

bt848 video capture driver

Post by ksw SAWADA Kei » Tue, 24 Jun 2003 02:37:14

Hi all

Quote:>I wonder if anyone has had any experience of using this driver (from
>bt848x/sourceforge.net)?

Yes, I do it successfully ;-)
Thank you for trying bt848x driver, but sorry for puzzling you.

Quote:>I was hoping originally to be able to use it with sunforum, but it
>stubbornly refuses to recognise that the machine has a video capture
>card.

SunForum requires XIL API set, original interface of video capturing
for Solaris.  API set that bt848x driver provides is Video4Linux
(exactly saying, it is Video4Linux version One), so you cannot use
SunForum, ShowMeTV or VIC with bt848x driver.  They are configured for
SunVideo, using XIL API.

Quote:>This does produce a result, but it's terrible - depending on which
>device (0 to 3) I try, I get either a colour or monochrome image;
>either way it's very poor quality and mirror image reversed left to
>right.

If video signal is from camera (if not problem of tuner), I think
video norm was wrong.  If norm was set incorrectly, no application can
obtain valid image.  In addition, video signal of * may be odd,
it is safer bet to try standard video signal first.

Quote:>I'd welcome any suggestions for how to go about capturing video
>(easily! - I don't have a great deal of time to spend on this right
>now).

Hmmm, possibilities I can think are to:

(1) Implement VIC plug-in for existing * driver (such as Philip's
    USB * driver or Jürgen Keil's driver).

(2) Keep trying bt848x and write a patch for Video4Linux compliant
    video conference program or streaming server.  But, please
    remember that bt848x driver does not support all Bt8x8-based
    capture card.

(3) Implement XIL interface to existing driver and use SunForum.  But
    I am not sure how difficult it is.  When I wrote bt848x driver, I
    searched for information on XIL, but there are little document.

Quote:>All I want to be able to do, btw, is chat with family at home while
>I'm at work, nothing terribly serious or needing ultra high quality or
>complex session management.

Wish is always simple... but... (sigh)

--
ksw (SAWADA Keiji)

1. bt848/bt878 video capture drivers

Has work on the bt848/bt878 driver ceased?

The reason I ask is the bt848 has now been replaced by the bt878 on new
Hauppauge WinTV cards. The driver in 'current' has SOME support for the
bt878, however the composite video input feature doesn't work.

And the BT848 Driver Project web-page is no longer accessible at
freebsd.org.

Any information would be appreciated.

Randal Williams

3. video capture with 2.2.5 and bt848

4. X Windows Error

5. RH 7.1 bt848 video capture + color camera questions

6. ALEART -- DANGEROUSLY STUPID QUESTION

7. VIDEO CAPTURE - SBLIVE (emu10k1) and bt848 combo setup with Xawtv

8. Mail Retrieval @isp --> 1 pop for a whole company...

9. Video Capture / BT848 Support

10. Driver for Video/TV Card′s with BT848

11. mpeg capture from video capture card

12. Capture mpeg from video capture card.

13. bt848 command line capture tool