Binaries v2.3 - v2.4

Post by Casper H.S. Dik - Network Security Engine » Thu, 04 May 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>Noticed in a post made couple weeks ago (sorry for the laps of time, but
>I've been moving....ACK!)    Anyways, in your message you had stated that
>a binary will not run on v2.3 if it was originated from v2.4.    Are these
>files related if you've compiled them yourself?    In this case specific,
>I've used binaries that was on Solaris v2.4 to a Solaris v2.3 system and
>have had no problems.  The file in reference was Solaris v2.4 '/bin/at' to
>replace on Solaris v2.3 due to a bug related problem that was never fixed
>by a patch that I'm aware of.   The problem that I'm speaking of is 'at -f'
>which is available to read any file on the system regardless of the perms
>level on Solaris v2.3.    Makes it real interesting grabbing /etc/shadow.

I think it's more likely that I said something like "may" not run.
That is to be expected.  Or any progress would become extremely hard.

Many programs will work fine, other may break.

Quote:>Bug was fixed in Solaris v2.4, so I moved over the binary to v2.3, and have
>not experianced a problem with it.

There was a patch:

Patch-ID# 101572-03
Date: Oct/24/94

Which is basically the entire Solaris 2.4 cron subsystem (including
at and crontab) for Solaris 2.3.

It fixes the bug.

Casper

Binaries v2.3 - v2.4

Post by DRP aka. Kille » Thu, 04 May 1995 04:00:00

Casper,

Noticed in a post made couple weeks ago (sorry for the laps of time, but
I've been moving....ACK!)    Anyways, in your message you had stated that
a binary will not run on v2.3 if it was originated from v2.4.    Are these
files related if you've compiled them yourself?    In this case specific,
I've used binaries that was on Solaris v2.4 to a Solaris v2.3 system and
have had no problems.  The file in reference was Solaris v2.4 '/bin/at' to
replace on Solaris v2.3 due to a bug related problem that was never fixed
by a patch that I'm aware of.   The problem that I'm speaking of is 'at -f'
which is available to read any file on the system regardless of the perms
level on Solaris v2.3.    Makes it real interesting grabbing /etc/shadow.

Bug was fixed in Solaris v2.4, so I moved over the binary to v2.3, and have
not experianced a problem with it.

------
  -_KD_-   "Good Sysadmin's don't let other Sysadmin's type drunk!"