Auto logoff of all users after 15 minutes of non activity.

Auto logoff of all users after 15 minutes of non activity.

Post by james layt » Wed, 27 Nov 1996 04:00:00

I am using Solaris 2.5 and I want to force logout if no activity
occurs within 15 minutes.  I modified the etc/default/login file to
TIMEOUT=900 what else do I need to do.  When I login as a normal user
is does not log me off.

Thanks,

Jim

Auto logoff of all users after 15 minutes of non activity.

Post by Neil Waybrig » Thu, 28 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Get "idled" (one site is ftp.cs.hope.edu /pub/idled).  The TIMEOUT
variable in /etc/default/login doesn't do what you are thinking.
Enter a user name at the login prompt and see how many seconds it
takes for the login process to decide you haven't entered your
password in enough time.

>I am using Solaris 2.5 and I want to force logout if no activity
>occurs within 15 minutes.  I modified the etc/default/login file to
>TIMEOUT=900 what else do I need to do.  When I login as a normal user
>is does not log me off.
>Thanks,
>Jim

Robert N. Waybright
The opinions expressed do not necessarily represent my own
(or anyone else's for that matter).
http://www.users.cts.com/crash/n/neilw/

Auto logoff of all users after 15 minutes of non activity.

Post by Scott W. Giffor » Fri, 29 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> I am using Solaris 2.5 and I want to force logout if no activity
> occurs within 15 minutes.  I modified the etc/default/login file to
> TIMEOUT=900 what else do I need to do.  When I login as a normal user
> is does not log me off.

  The timeout in /etc/default/login is (I believe) the amount of time
before the "login:" prompt gives up and goes away when somebody telnets in.
 You need to install a seperate package to do that...I recommend untamo, a
simple search of the WWW or Archie should find it.

-----Scott.

Post by Jeff Comsto » Fri, 29 Nov 1996 04:00:00

>I am using Solaris 2.5 and I want to force logout if no activity
>occurs within 15 minutes.  I modified the etc/default/login file to
>TIMEOUT=900 what else do I need to do.  When I login as a normal user
>is does not log me off.

>Thanks,

>Jim

Give everyone /bin/ksh as a login shell, then set TMOUT to 900 in
/etc/profile.

--
Jeffrey Comstock

WWW:  http://www.skypoint.com/members/jrc/
CW:   -. .-. ----- -..

Post by Andrew Gide » Tue, 03 Dec 1996 04:00:00

>>I am using Solaris 2.5 and I want to force logout if no activity
>>occurs within 15 minutes.  I modified the etc/default/login file to
>>TIMEOUT=900 what else do I need to do.  When I login as a normal user
>>is does not log me off.

>Give everyone /bin/ksh as a login shell, then set TMOUT to 900 in
>/etc/profile.

What about wu-ftpd connections?  I assume that this will
not handle those.

Quote:>Get "idled" (one site is ftp.cs.hope.edu /pub/idled).

Will this handle wu-ftpd connections?

Thanks...

        Andrew

Post by Jeff Comsto » Tue, 03 Dec 1996 04:00:00

>>>I am using Solaris 2.5 and I want to force logout if no activity
>>>occurs within 15 minutes.  I modified the etc/default/login file to
>>>TIMEOUT=900 what else do I need to do.  When I login as a normal user
>>>is does not log me off.

>>Give everyone /bin/ksh as a login shell, then set TMOUT to 900 in
>>/etc/profile.

>What about wu-ftpd connections?  I assume that this will
>not handle those.

No, this will only handle login shells.  There is a seperate configuration file for timeouts
in wu-ftpd.  I cant' think of what it is you have to set exactly though, look at the
manual.
--
Jeffrey Comstock

WWW:  http://www.skypoint.com/members/jrc/
CW:   -. .-. ----- -..

1. Auto-logoff of idle users?

How do you automatically logoff idle users? These are users who shutdown
Win95 or NT without logging off. I come back a day later and find 23
users logged on to the client box but no client machines running.

2. /

3. Auto non-activity disconnect for dip?

4. GNOME ... ? START ME UP!

5. Magic 15 minutes?

6. Problem with pppd respawn too fast

7. telnet server send packet every 15 minutes

8. iptables and logging

9. Internal Zip - 15 minutes to eject ???

10. password protecting the screen after 15 minutes

11. Telnet terminates after 15 minutes of inactivity.

12. Diald dials out every 15 minutes

13. 10-15 minute delay loggin in