Jumpstart Client doesn't see the profile

Jumpstart Client doesn't see the profile

Post by Peter Huesse » Wed, 17 Oct 2001 19:54:22

Hello

I try to install a jumpstart client. The server is a SunBlade100, also
the client.
The installation of the client on the server was at least partially
successful
because the client boots correctly and also takes the right sysidcfg
file. But
it does not see the profile. Here is the command I used to add the
client
on the server:

/export/Install/Solaris_8/Tools/add_install_client -e 0:3:ba:c:b6:30 -s
pss250:/export/Install -c pss250:/export/Jumpstart -p
pss250:/export/Conf pss100 sun4u

pss250 is the name of the server. The setting of the pathes is correct.
Especially the /export/Jumpstart directory contains the rules anf
profiles.
The "rules" file looks like:

%cat /export/Jumpstart/rules
any - - test_prof -

So everybody should take the test_prof as profile. The "test_prof" is:

%cat /export/Jumpstart/test_prof
install_type    initial_install
cluster         SUNWCXall
filesys any     3000    /
filesys any     128     swap
filesys any     free    /export
partitioning    explicit
geo     C_Europe
system_type     standalone

Booting the client I still have to answer the questions I allready
answered in the test_prof. I allready tested the rules
and test_prof using the "check" command.

Some idea ????

Thank's in advance

    Pedro

Jumpstart Client doesn't see the profile

Post by Robert Esc » Thu, 18 Oct 2001 08:59:43

On Tue, 16 Oct 2001 12:54:22 +0200, Peter Huesser

>Hello

>I try to install a jumpstart client. The server is a SunBlade100, also
>the client.
>The installation of the client on the server was at least partially
>successful
>because the client boots correctly and also takes the right sysidcfg
>file. But
>it does not see the profile. Here is the command I used to add the
>client
>on the server:

>/export/Install/Solaris_8/Tools/add_install_client -e 0:3:ba:c:b6:30 -s
>pss250:/export/Install -c pss250:/export/Jumpstart -p
>pss250:/export/Conf pss100 sun4u

>pss250 is the name of the server. The setting of the pathes is correct.
>Especially the /export/Jumpstart directory contains the rules anf
>profiles.
>The "rules" file looks like:

>%cat /export/Jumpstart/rules
>any - - test_prof -

>So everybody should take the test_prof as profile. The "test_prof" is:

>%cat /export/Jumpstart/test_prof
>install_type    initial_install
>cluster         SUNWCXall
>filesys any     3000    /
>filesys any     128     swap
>filesys any     free    /export
>partitioning    explicit
>geo     C_Europe
>system_type     standalone

>Booting the client I still have to answer the questions I allready
>answered in the test_prof. I allready tested the rules
>and test_prof using the "check" command.

>Some idea ????

>Thank's in advance

>    Pedro

Pedro,

First did you check your rules file by running the check script (that
is how the rules.ok file is made). If this is run it will look at the
rules file and your profile, and provided there are no problems you
will see a message "the Custom JumpStart Configuration is OK".

Looking at your profile, there is a couple of things I would move
around, see below:

Your profile

install_type    initial_install
cluster         SUNWCXall
filesys any     3000    /
filesys any     128     swap
filesys any     free    /export
partitioning    explicit
geo     C_Europe
system_type     standalone

my profile

install_type    initial_install
system_type     standalone
partitioning    explicit
filesys         c0t1d0s0 3000 /
filesys         c0t1d0s1 128   swap
filesys         c0t1d0s3 4000 /export
cluster         SUNWCall
locale          en_EU.ISO8859-15

You can use the any value for the partitions instead of what I have
used (I always specify partition sizes).  Hope this helps.

Robert Escue

1. Jumpstart client doesn't find rules file

Hello

I installed a jumpstart server and try to install a client now. The name
of the server is pss100.
The client pss201. I installed the client with the command:

     /jumpstart/OS/Solaris_8_2001_10/Solaris_8/Tools/add_install_client
-c pss100:/jumpstart  \
    -p pss100:/jumpstart/Sysidcfg pss201 sun4u

The "sysidcfg" file is located in /jumpstart/Sysidcfg the "rules" file
in "/jumpstart". The client boots correctly
and sees the "sysidcfg" file (no questions are asked). Afterwards
Openwin is started and on the console
window I see the following two lines:

    The system is coming up. Please wait.
    Starting remote procedure call (RPC) services: sysidns done.

Unfortunatelly I am in the interactive scenario afterwards. But what I
should see
(if everything would be ok) in the console window is:

    Starting Solaris installation programm...
    Searching for JumpStart directory...
    Using rules.ok from pss100;/jumpstart

The rules file is ok. It just has one entry ("any - -
Profiles/basic.profile -"). The "Profiles/basic.profile" is also
ok (no error while "./check"ing). It looks like:

    install_type initial_install
    cluster SUNWCall
    partitioning default

The "/etc/bootparams" file looks like:

    pss201
root=pss100:/jumpstart/OS/Solaris_8_2001_10/Solaris_8/Tools/Boot \
    install=pss100:/jumpstart/OS/Solaris_8_2001_10 boottype=:in
sysid_config=pss100:/jumpstart/Sysidcfg \
    install_config=pss100:/jumpstart rootopts=:rsize=32768

In my opinion everything looks fine BUT ... ? I installed the server and
the client as described in "Building a JumpStart
Infrastructure", a SUN Blueprint written by Alex Noordergraaf.

Any idea what I did wrong ?

    Pedro

2. gnome apps not showing up on local X server

3. Telnet login doesn't run /etc/profile or $HOME/.profile

4. WHy can't I download the source code from CDRom....?

5. cmdtool doesn't source /.profile or /etc/profile

6. PPP problems

7. 'ping' sees route but 'telnet' doesn't??

8. Help ! File System Question ! Help

9. jumpstart client profile

10. Boot server and client in same subnet..Mandated for 'Jumpstart'??

11. RedHat client sends DHCPDISCOVER, server hears and sends DHCPOFFER that doesn't reach client

12. Jumpstart 2.5.1 Client from a 2.6 Jumpstart Server

13. IE doesn't seen 401 return code