network interface failover

Post by Logan Sh » Thu, 05 Oct 2000 04:00:00

I've lost the thread now, but someone asked recently about whether
there was a way to support having multiple interfaces with failover
in case one of them dies.  Now, I've just noticed on Sun's
web site that

        September 27, 2000 -- Sun Microsystems today unveiled the
        latest release of its Solaris[tm] 8 Operating Environment
        which includes more than 30 new features and enhancements.

and one of those new features is:

        IP Network Multipathing - When more than one network interface
        card (NIC) is installed in a system, network load can be spread
        over multiple NICs which provides a failover capability. In the
        event of a card failure, a back up connection is available
        which processes and transfers the network information; service
        is maintained if a card fails. When all cards are operational,
        system throughput is increased.

So does that mean that Sun is now including Sun Trunking
software in Solaris for free, or does it mean they've
developed some other kind of failover?  (Some vendors do
this by having support for a card automatically changing its
IP address in case it detects the failure of another card.)

  - Logan

[...]

Sorry about the duplicate postings.

I *promise* I did not click "send" twice on that article.  I did not
even click send.  I just ran "Pnews comp.unix.solaris"...

  - Logan

1. Network interface failover software

Dear All,

Im looking for a solution to following situation:

We have a Sun Solaris server with two network interfaces. One primary and
one standby/spare interface.
Interfaces are connected to two separate/redundant network switches (primary
and standby). Interfaces are connected to the same subnet.
Behind the switches we have two redundant routers running HSRP protocol
(which means that we have only one default gateway).

Now to the question:
Is there any software which can move IP address to standby interface (local
fail over) in case the primary interface loses  contact with the network
(for example primary switch gets broken) ?

I know that I could solve this with both interfaces active (two IP
addresses) and RIP or OSPF, but I would like to have solution with primary
and standby interface.

Regards Gregor

2. mail Attachments from a command line program...

3. Failover Network Interfaces

4. Samba : problem

5. IP Multipathing Problem (cannot failover interfaces)

6. You would think that they would patch their own servers

7. QFE interface failover

8. new driver: multimedia card (mmc) framework, patch against 2.4.19

9. network interface names ethX and renaming interfaces

10. How do you setup network fault tolerance/failover

11. 5.6: failover routing - using 2 routes to the same network

12. DHCP failover without shared-network.

13. Network failover script