ufsdump, ufsrestore problem

Post by watts.. » Tue, 08 Feb 2000 04:00:00

I use the command " ufsdump 0nuf /dev/rmt/0n $i" where $i is a list of
all my ufs file systems; this works fine and I can restore using the
command " ufsrestore -ivfs /dev/rmt/0 $i" where $i is the integer tape
file number.

The problem occurs when i change the ufsdump command to add a block size
ufsdump 0nufb /dev/rmt/0n 512 $i.  This works also; however I cannot
recover files from the tape dump

I try using ufsrestore and will get the following error message
media read error: not enough space

I am backing up to a 4mm tape.

the changing to a block size of 512 instead of using the default speeds
up the dump by 20-25% so this could be useful.

Thanks for any help

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Post by Thomas Schu » Wed, 09 Feb 2000 04:00:00

>I use the command " ufsdump 0nuf /dev/rmt/0n $i" where $i is a list of
>all my ufs file systems; this works fine and I can restore using the
>command " ufsrestore -ivfs /dev/rmt/0 $i" where $i is the integer tape
>file number.

>The problem occurs when i change the ufsdump command to add a block size
>ufsdump 0nufb /dev/rmt/0n 512 $i.  This works also; however I cannot
>recover files from the tape dump

>I try using ufsrestore and will get the following error message
>media read error: not enough space

>I am backing up to a 4mm tape.

>the changing to a block size of 512 instead of using the default speeds
>up the dump by 20-25% so this could be useful.

>Thanks for any help

>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
>Before you buy.

According to the ufsdump man page, the highest  blocking  factor
available with most tape drives is 126.  I use 126 here with good
results.  This is still higher than the default.

Tom Schulz

1. remote ufsdump/ufsrestore problem

Hello all,
I  make dumps on a regular basis of the bootdisks of our Solaris 2.6 servers
to a remote host, like this:

ufsdump 0f - <raw-device> | (rsh <remote-host> "cd /backup_dir; ufsrestore
xf -").

This works fine. However, I want to make a script which I can place on any
new server without having to modify it, so I try something like this:

REMOTEHOST=<ip-address>
ROOTDEV=`awk '/[  ]\/[  ]/ {print $2}' /etc/vfstab`
REMOTE_BACKUP=/${HOSTNAME}_backup

and have the shell substitute these variables:

ufsdump 0f -  ${ROOTDEV} | (rsh  ${REMOTEHOST} "cd  ${REMOTE_BACKUP};
ufsrestore xf -)"

This doesn't work fine. It in fact starts to restore to the local bootdisks,
with corruption as a result.
I have checked in the script that the variables have the correct values and
I have tried different syntaxes,
but with no result.
Has anybody any idea what is happening?

Oscar Goosens

2. Scanners

3. ufsdump / ufsrestore problem

4. Keyboard shortcuts

5. ufsdump/ufsrestore Problems

6. Suggest a video card ?

7. Creating mirrored machine with "ufsdump and ufsrestore"

8. Dialing an ISP

9. Solaris 2.4 UFSDUMP/UFSRESTORE

10. 1 * NAqqIsWqA-UFSDUMP and UFSRESTORE to a new disk

11. ufsdump and ufsrestore to another system

12. logging the contents of a ufsdump with ufsrestore

13. ufsrestore/ufsdump on Solaris Sparc/x86 incompatibility