ufsrestore

Post by Yat-Fa » Mon, 02 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Hello friends,

Regarding ufsrestore to the root filesystem,
usually I would boot the Solaris server from a
CD-ROM and then do the restore. However if
the server does not have a CD-ROM, what can
I do?

I know how to remote ufsdump, but can
I remote ufsrestore and also that the
filesystem in question is the root filesystem?

Many many thanks.

It's best if a copy of your reply can be posted
as a followup and one copy can be forwarded to

Thanks.

Rgds.,
fan.

ufsrestore

Post by Bernd Brau » Wed, 04 Nov 1998 04:00:00

> Hello friends,

> Regarding ufsrestore to the root filesystem,
> usually I would boot the Solaris server from a
> CD-ROM and then do the restore. However if
> the server does not have a CD-ROM, what can
> I do?

> I know how to remote ufsdump, but can
> I remote ufsrestore and also that the
> filesystem in question is the root filesystem?

> Many many thanks.

To ufsrestore the root filesystem you have to newfs, installboot, ...
You can only do that with a running root filesystem, so you have
to boot from cdrom or a second locally connected root-disk.

--
Bernd Braun
Siemens AG Braunschweig

ufsrestore

Post by Andrew Gabri » Fri, 06 Nov 1998 04:00:00

>> Regarding ufsrestore to the root filesystem,
>> usually I would boot the Solaris server from a
>> CD-ROM and then do the restore. However if
>> the server does not have a CD-ROM, what can
>> I do?
>To ufsrestore the root filesystem you have to newfs, installboot, ...
>You can only do that with a running root filesystem, so you have
>to boot from cdrom or a second locally connected root-disk.

I havn't tried, but I would presume a network boot (as though
to install over the net) would work too.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Consultant Software Engineer

1. Ufsrestore problems

Hi ,
I am having problems restoring a backup of a file from a tape device.

When i run the command to check whether the file exists before proceeding to do the restore i get the error message to say file is not on volume as below

#ufsrestore tf /dev/rmt/1cn ./export/home/hornbyd/shared/WEB-INF/src/uk/co/genie/mobile/mq/MQTest.java
./export/home/hornbyd/shared/WEB-INF/src/uk/co/genie/mobile/mq/MQTest.java is not on volume

when i try to do an interactive restore by running command ufsrestore -i   ..i get the error

/dev/rmt/0: No such file or directory  this is probably  because my tape device  is located is mounted on /dev/rmt/1cn

most  other  ufsrestore commands and other tape related commands  like mt fsf n  i run are i get the error........... /dev/rmt/0: No such file or directory

1.My questions is how do i get to run the normal commands to look at the current mounted drive ie /dev/rmt/1cn rather than /dev/rmt/0 .

2.One the other problem what am i not doing right i have tried 3 different tapes ...but i am not conviced that these files are not on tape as per the first error message  " filename not on volume.

3.How do i get it to read from the volume.
In my case i am asssuming that the users file that i am trying to restore is not available on the tape but i have checked on /export/home/ and the other backup up file systems on / can be found on the tape what command do i need to keep shifting to the next volume

2. errors: "eth0: ...."

3. Creating mirrored machine with "ufsdump and ufsrestore"

4. Film Scanner for Linux?

5. ufsrestore on Ultra10 does not boot

6. Sending Mass Messages

7. Problem with ufsrestore

8. Serial port setup

9. ufsrestore questions

10. SunOS 5.4 fails to ufsrestore from one volume on two tapes

11. missing ufsrestore binary

12. Solaris 2.4 UFSDUMP/UFSRESTORE

13. bourne shell quoting, solaris, and ufsrestore