First two chars dropped from filenames in xv, Solaris2.3

First two chars dropped from filenames in xv, Solaris2.3

Post by s.. » Wed, 26 Jan 1994 10:34:11

Hello,
        The image display tool, 'xv', compiled readily using gcc on Solaris2.3
and it reads and displays gif and jpeg files perfectly well, but when the
'load file' button is pressed, the filenames presented in a pop-up window
each have the first two characters missing.
        If I double-click a name, the file open fails gracefully since the
shortened name is not the name of a file which exists.  If I single-click the
name to copy it to the textgadget below the list and insert the missing
characters, the file opens and the image is displayed.
        What does this failure indicate?  Should I change something in the
Makefile for 'xv' or is there a known fix to be made in the code itself (or
the system calls it makes)?
        Any information would be appreciated,
                        Thank you,
                                Shawn Ewald

                                Caltech

Post by Casper H.S. D » Wed, 26 Jan 1994 18:41:17

>Hello,
>    The image display tool, 'xv', compiled readily using gcc on Solaris2.3
>and it reads and displays gif and jpeg files perfectly well, but when the
>'load file' button is pressed, the filenames presented in a pop-up window
>each have the first two characters missing.

You have compiled with /usr/ucb/cc, but xv includes <dirent.h>
(you use the SysV readdir() defintion, but got the 4.2 BSD readdir()).

Xv should compile in the standard environment on Solaris.

Casper

Post by Andy Fel » Thu, 27 Jan 1994 01:55:56

>Hello,
>    The image display tool, 'xv', compiled readily using gcc on Solaris2.3
>and it reads and displays gif and jpeg files perfectly well, but when the
>'load file' button is pressed, the filenames presented in a pop-up window
>each have the first two characters missing.

This is a classic symptom of mixing SYSV and ucb features.  Try recompiling
and make sure that you do not link to the ucb libraries...

Good luck!

--
Andy Feldt
System Support Programmer

First two chars dropped from filenames in xv, Solaris2.3

Post by H}kan Torbj » Fri, 28 Jan 1994 01:56:15

For me it compiles and runs (apparently alright) after changing these
macros in xv.h:

/* signal macros */
#ifndef SVR4
#define HOLD_SIG         sigblock(sigmask(SIGALRM))
#define RELEASE_SIG      sigblock(0)
#define PAUSE_SIG        sigpause(0)
#else
#define HOLD_SIG         sighold(sigmask(SIGALRM))
#define RELEASE_SIG      sigrelse(sigmask(SIGALRM))
#define PAUSE_SIG        sigpause(sigmask(SIGALRM))
#endif

I don't know if this is correct, but it seems to work, I don't need
-lucb and thus gets the correct readdir().  I also copied the code to
select string.h or strings.h from xv.h into xcmap.c.

        -- H}kan

1. mapping two chars to one key

Hello!

I tried to find a way to map my keyboard (attached to an
IBM xstation 130) so that pressing the key a generates +a (two
chars: an 'a' and a '+').

I couldn't make xmodmap use soemthning like

keycode  39 = +a

(or similar variants with " or ')

Is it possible to do it?

Thanks in advance for any help,
Regards,
W. Swiatek

2. IRQ clash?

3. Remote Mounting CDROM from one SOLARIS2.4 BOX to other SOLARIS2.4 BOX

4. Daemon help?

5. two routers (two wans) connecting to one lan using two nics.

6. themes.org is back!

7. Netscape passes no filenames to xv

8. timeconsuming processes on FreeBSD 3.1

9. Incomplete filename when running xv and ghostsview

10. char *strcasestr(char *haystack, char *needle) a simple case independent strstr()

11. dos filenames > 8 chars

12. dtfile: How to set the number of filename chars...

13. Chars dropped sending to sqlplus ... sometimes