Reading UNIX formatted floppies on Wincrap NT machines

Reading UNIX formatted floppies on Wincrap NT machines

Post by Mark Wend » Wed, 25 Aug 1999 04:00:00

yeah, I know, why bother.  Unfortunately, we have a few (more than I'd
like) NT machines floating around, and we need to be able to read a UNIX
formatted floppy on the NT box.  The floppies are formatted both in SCO
and Solaris file systems.  Anybody know of any software for the NT side
that will allow the NT machines to read the floppies?

Thanks,
Mark Wendt
ITC

Reading UNIX formatted floppies on Wincrap NT machines

Post by joeh » Wed, 25 Aug 1999 04:00:00

I run into this all the time (SCO/Solaris/Linux) and how i finally
get around it is to make a floppy on Solaris formatted for DOS
if i need to use the same floppy on SCO i use the doscopy command

--

access to a news server; thanks!
Disclaimer: opinions expressed my own and not representative of my employers

Post by Philip Bro » Wed, 25 Aug 1999 04:00:00

>yeah, I know, why bother.  Unfortunately, we have a few (more than I'd
>like) NT machines floating around, and we need to be able to read a UNIX
>formatted floppy on the NT box.

why?

try copying the info you need to a .tar file, then put the tarfile on the
msdos-formatted floppy.

The word of the day is mispergitude

Reading UNIX formatted floppies on Wincrap NT machines

Post by Peter Sundstro » Thu, 26 Aug 1999 04:00:00

You need to do it the other way round.  Don't try to do the impossible and
get NT to be flexible, that's what Unix exists for.

Both SCO and Solaris happily read and write DOS formatted floppies.

>yeah, I know, why bother.  Unfortunately, we have a few (more than I'd
>like) NT machines floating around, and we need to be able to read a UNIX
>formatted floppy on the NT box.  The floppies are formatted both in SCO
>and Solaris file systems.  Anybody know of any software for the NT side
>that will allow the NT machines to read the floppies?

>Thanks,
>Mark Wendt
>ITC

Reading UNIX formatted floppies on Wincrap NT machines

Post by Mark Wend » Thu, 26 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Wish it was that simple.  We have this mil spec piece of hardware, that
creates the floppies, and all it knows is SCO.  The other machines, yeah, I
know I can read and write dos floppies, but was just looking for a utility
that would make my life easier.

Thanks,
Mark Wendt