cannot read floppies on SUN Sparc Super 20

cannot read floppies on SUN Sparc Super 20

Post by Wolfgang Stoeche » Fri, 16 Aug 1996 04:00:00

floppies inserted into our 3,5 inch drive cannot be read;
(SUN Sparc Super 20, Solaris 2.4)
with the volume manager, choosing 'Check for floppy',
i get 'floppy is not writeable' on the bottom of the
volume manager window (regardless whether the floppy is
writeable or not); no other window pops up (in contradiction
to the answerbook).
with the cdrom everything works fine, also the configuration
files /etc/vold.conf and /etc/rmmount.conf seem to be ok, and
so are the permissions of /floppy .

Any ideas what goes wrong here?

Thank you,

Wolfgang

cannot read floppies on SUN Sparc Super 20

Post by Stephen Skartved » Fri, 16 Aug 1996 04:00:00

I've had same problem with our SS20/Solaris 2.4 not
reading floppies.  I've given up and just manually
access with 'mount -F pcfs /dev/diskette /floppy'
Hope this helps.

Post by Shimen Chen » Tue, 20 Aug 1996 04:00:00

> floppies inserted into our 3,5 inch drive cannot be read;
> (SUN Sparc Super 20, Solaris 2.4)
> with the volume manager, choosing 'Check for floppy',
> i get 'floppy is not writeable' on the bottom of the
> volume manager window (regardless whether the floppy is
> writeable or not); no other window pops up (in contradiction
> to the answerbook).
> with the cdrom everything works fine, also the configuration
> files /etc/vold.conf and /etc/rmmount.conf seem to be ok, and
> so are the permissions of /floppy .

> Any ideas what goes wrong here?

> Thank you,

> Wolfgang

Have you try the command 'volcheck -v' and 'cd /floppy'. Further more,
the disk is NFS format or Dos format?

Hope it can help you.

Regards / Shimen

1. Sparc 5 vs Sparc 10 vs Sparc 20

New to the group, so please be easy on me.

Here's my question:

Is there a performance difference between a 5, 10, or 20?  During a
recent exercise we conducted, that users were complaining about their
clients being too slow.  They asked to be upgraded to a Sparc 20 to
alleviate their woes.  Walking around doing a dmesg grep -i cpu, we
found that the 5's or 10's actually had a faster processor than the
20's.  Sometimes the RAM was higher on the 20's, sometimes not.   Is
there some sort of performance rating on different models published
somewhere?  Or is it dependent on the architecture of the box itself?
My suggestion was to walk around and pencil in an extra 0 on the case
so they'd think they had a higher model !  Customer service!!

If this is too vague, please let me know and I'll try to be as
specific as I can without compromising security.

Boz
(no certifications as of yet)

2. linux on 23gb drive

3. floppy problems (Sparc-20, Solaris-2.6)

4. Modem autospeed on SLIP server - part 1

5. Sparc 20 floppy won't work under Sol 8

6. Wabi 2.1 Domestic or International version ?

7. lost floppy drive upgrading Hyper SPARC 20 from 2.5.1 to 2.6

8. Xload Equivalent

9. 2.4 x86 ufs floppy unreadable by 2.3 SPARC 20

10. Adding a non-Sun CD-ROM to SPARC 20...

11. Sun Sparc 20 w/linux - modem?

12. Communication between Indigo 2 and Solaris Sun Sparc 20

13. How to use the SUN Sparc 20 on board ISDN hardware