How does syslogd maintain /var/adm/messages files?

How does syslogd maintain /var/adm/messages files?

Post by Tom Shippe » Wed, 30 Mar 2005 11:20:26

How are the /var/adm/message.N files maintained? Does the syslogd daemon
generate new message files? How does syslogd do this, by being stopped and
restarted? If the system is up many months what triggers /var/adm/message
file maintenance. Is there a way for me to specify how big and how many
/var/adm/messages files are maintained, or how how many days they are
retained for?

How does syslogd maintain /var/adm/messages files?

Post by Vahid Moghaddas » Wed, 30 Mar 2005 11:36:33

see the man page for logadm and /etc/logadm.conf, there is not a fixed
answer to your question as your system might be configured differently.
-Vahid.

1. syslogd failed to log message to /var/adm/messages

Hello,

I'm running Solaris 2.5.1, and I'm encountering a problem where syslogd
fails to log message to /var/adm/messages. I looked at /etc/syslog.conf,
which was not modified at all, and the syslog.conf file worked when I
copied to another machine. Checked syslog.conf and it showed the correct
pid. I stop and restart syslogd using "truss -f -a syslogd -d" and ran
logger to test, the trace output didn't show anything.. Looked like
something got stuck.

Is there anyone has an idea what is wrong? Thanks in advance.

Lam

2. TIRPC source??

3. Can Loghost's syslogd steer multiple remote /var/adm/messages to multiple files?

4. Dreamweaver port for Linux?

5. trimming /var/adm/messages & /var/adm/syslog

6. Interrupt driven socket I/O

7. Clean way to remove /var/adm/messages and /var/adm/syslog

8. Building my DREAM Linux box - is this hardware list cool?

9. syslogd.conf configuration to copy /var/adm/messages to a loghost ?

10. /var/adm/messages & syslogd

11. syslogd. Error in /var/adm/messages

12. Every minute there is a message line in /var/adm/messages file, please help

13. INIT: Cannot create /var/adm/utmp or /var/adm/utmpx