Solaris core installation

Post by pradee » Thu, 13 Jan 2005 23:32:28

We are installing the Solaris 9 Entire+OEM. We require Oracle 9i.

I want to know, if SOlaris 9 Core installation, and can I install Oracle 9i.
Does it provide support for browsing through Netscape
from the Solaris machine?

If i need to install additional packages after Solaris Core, can anybody let
me know, what are the additional pkgs to
be installed?

We primarily want to switch to Solaris 9 COre installation,
because we need to do some of the security hardening like removal of UUCP
related files and user.
We thought if we don;t install those pkgs, it would be simpler for us.
But we need to take care of other OEMs which are used
in our product like Oracle, Iona Orbix(Corba Orb)
Veritas Volume Manager( for cluster).

I would like to know if it is preferable to install only the Solaris Core
installation.
Best Regards,
Pradeep

Solaris core installation

Post by Jim » Fri, 14 Jan 2005 00:44:14

> We are installing the Solaris 9 Entire+OEM. We require Oracle 9i.

> I want to know, if SOlaris 9 Core installation, and can I install Oracle 9i.
> Does it provide support for browsing through Netscape
> from the Solaris machine?

> If i need to install additional packages after Solaris Core, can anybody let
> me know, what are the additional pkgs to
> be installed?

> We primarily want to switch to Solaris 9 COre installation,
> because we need to do some of the security hardening like removal of UUCP
> related files and user.
> We thought if we don;t install those pkgs, it would be simpler for us.
> But we need to take care of other OEMs which are used
> in our product like Oracle, Iona Orbix(Corba Orb)
> Veritas Volume Manager( for cluster).

> I would like to know if it is preferable to install only the Solaris Core
> installation.
> Best Regards,
> Pradeep

SUNWarc           SUNWlibms         SUNWi1of
SUNWbtool         SUNWsprot         SUNWi1cs
SUNWhea           SUNWsprox         SUNWi15cs
SUNWlibm          SUNWtoo           SUNWxwfnt

are the packages that NEED to be installed ont the system for oracle to
run, So I'd install the core system then add these packages from the
cdrom and see how it goes. There will be no X Server installed so
obviously no  Netscape on the server (should be able to browse from
another machine on to the server though.
You're right in thinking about installing the very least possible then
adding to that build rather than installing everything and taking bits
away, it makes for a more secure system.

HTH
Jim

1. Integrit reports walk_file_tree error on Solaris Core installation

Hi All,

I'm trying to get integrit to work on a Solaris8 10/01 Core installation -
no luck so far. i've got it running happily on several other boxes which
are all complete installs of Solaris8 10/00. The binary builds without
error and runs, only to exit with the message
        "integrit (main): Error: walk_file_tree: No such file or directory".

Copying a binary from a box where it works flawlessly doesn't change the
problem. What am I missing here?

The following is a session log:

$ uname -a
SunOS [hostname deleted] 5.8 Generic_108528-13 sun4u sparc

$ l /export/
total 3
drwxr-xr-x   3 root     other         512 Feb 28 15:39 ./
drwxr-xr-x  22 root     root          512 Mar  5 11:21 ../
drwxr-xr-x   6 root     other         512 Feb 28 15:47 home/

$ l /export/home/
total 6
drwxr-xr-x   6 root     other         512 Feb 28 15:47 ./
drwxr-xr-x   3 root     other         512 Feb 28 15:39 ../
drwx------   3 user1    other         512 Mar  5 12:10 user1/
drwx------   4 user2    other         512 Mar  1 15:39 user2/
drwx------   2 user3    other         512 Feb 28 15:43 user3/
drwx------   2 user4    other         512 Feb 28 15:47 user4/

$ cat /usr/local/etc/a.conf
root=/export
known=/tmp/old1.db
current=/tmp/new1.db

=/export/home

$ ./integrit -C /usr/local/etc/a.conf -u -O /tmp/old1.db -N /tmp/new1.db
integrit: ---- integrit, version 2.03 -----------------
integrit:                      output : human-readable
integrit:                   conf file : /usr/local/etc/a.conf
integrit:                    known db : /tmp/old1.db
integrit:                  current db : /tmp/new1.db
integrit:                        root : /export
integrit:                    do check : no
integrit:                   do update : yes
integrit (main): Error: walk_file_tree: No such file or directory

Thanks,
Tony

2. ftp

3. Solaris 8 installation core dump

4. Ping results in coredump!

5. cdrom on core installation of solaris 8

6. Does anyone recognise 'srchevn.c' ?

7. Solaris 8: core dump when starting CDE after installation

8. Linux live distributions

9. prtdiag -v on a a core installation of Solaris 9

10. packages needed for gcc installation on Solaris 9 core install

11. Compiling on Solaris 8 (64) CORE installation?

12. Solaris 9 NFS Server - eliminate packages core installation

13. Solaris/Motif program dumps core when displaying non-Solaris X-servers