doors in Solaris - new 'IPC' flavour.

Post by Casper H.S. Dik - Network Security Engine » Wed, 23 Apr 1997 04:00:00

>What is the scoop on the doors interface in solaris?  The nscd uses
>.name_service_door in what way and how does this 'new flavour' of IPC'
>is implemented?  What are the advantages?

I'm pretty sure tehre's a white paper up on www.sun.com somewhere.

Full documentation to follow in 2.6 (with a different interface than 2.5*).

And yes, it's much faster for IPC.

Casper
be fiction rather than truth.

doors in Solaris - new 'IPC' flavour.

Post by rchan.. » Wed, 23 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Hi All,

What is the scoop on the doors interface in solaris?  The nscd uses
.name_service_door in what way and how does this 'new flavour' of IPC'
is implemented?  What are the advantages?

Any refernce to white papers, articles is highly appreciated.

--
Opinions are my own.

doors in Solaris - new 'IPC' flavour.

Post by Andrew Gabri » Wed, 23 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>Hi All,

>What is the scoop on the doors interface in solaris?  The nscd uses
>..name_service_door in what way and how does this 'new flavour' of IPC'
>is implemented?  What are the advantages?

>Any refernce to white papers, articles is highly appreciated.

Doors comes from Sun's "Spring" operating system. There are white
papers on Spring somewhere on www.sun.com. (Try searching for
"Spring").

As I understand it, doors is a mechanism for a thread in one process
to [securely] jump through a door into the address space of another
[server] process and call one of its functions, before returning back
through the door to the address space of the calling process.

This description may be slightly coloured by my previous experience on
GEC 4000 series computers which use the same mechanism. Indeed the
Spring white papers even use the same terminology as GEC (particularly
the term "nucleus"), except GEC call "doors" "routes". The GEC 4000
series implemented nucleus (including door/routes) in a hardware
executive - in that respect I suspect Spring is different.

--

Post by Andy Tuck » Thu, 24 Apr 1997 04:00:00

>>What is the scoop on the doors interface in solaris?  The nscd uses
>>.name_service_door in what way and how does this 'new flavour' of IPC'
>>is implemented?  What are the advantages?

>I'm pretty sure tehre's a white paper up on www.sun.com somewhere.

Try: http://www.sun.com/developers/devnews/fall96/doors.html

Quote:>Full documentation to follow in 2.6 (with a different interface than 2.5*).

>And yes, it's much faster for IPC.

Round trip IPC (no data) in about 20 microseconds on an Ultra 1.

--
Andy Tucker

Solaris Clustering
I speak only for myself, not SunSoft or Sun Microsystems.