modem-0.4b - Distributed communication package for modems

modem-0.4b - Distributed communication package for modems

Post by Merijn de Jong » Thu, 06 Feb 1997 04:00:00

I'm pleased to announce the availability of modem-0.4b for Linux and
Solaris platforms. See the included README below for more
information.

I have uploaded modem-0.4b.tar.gz to
 ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/Incoming
and hope it will soon be moved to /pub/Linux/apps/comm. The primary
site of the modem package is at:
   http://adam.wins.uva.nl/~mdejonge/projects/modem/
Here you wil find more information about the package and some screen
shots.

Below I have included the original README to give yoe some more
information about modem.

-----

Modem is a distributed communication package for modems.

It works as follows:
 Each host on the network with one or more modems attached to it,
 runs the modemd server for one or more of those modems.

 To use a modem, for example to start a PPP connection, xmodem
 broadcasts a message on the network. A server who is willing to
 serve xmodem, replies with it's address.  xmodem then connects to
 that server using tcp. The server forks and restarts listening for
 new requests. The new child opens and locks one of the available
 modems and will try to establish a connection by dialing the remote
 site.  After a connection is established, the child will read data
 from the modem and the tcp connection until either a hangup from the
 modem is detected or the network connection is broken.  All data
 read from the tcp connection will be copied to the modem, all data
 read from the modem will be copied to xmodem.

 xmodem uses the personal phone book the get the number to dial.
 After dialing, it allocates a pseudo terminal and let the
 environment variable MODEM point to it. It then executes the program
 as given on the command line with STDIN and STDOUT connected to the
 pseudo terminal. xmodem also creates a new window with information
 about the modem.

 The program executed by xmodem can be any program. The program can
 communicate with the modem by reading and writing to STDIN and
 STDOUT respectively. They need not worry about the type of the modem
 or about things like dialing and terminal settings.

 The ppp script included in this package for example, just pops up a
 login window (xlogin) and starts the pppd server.

Advantages:
 -All hosts on the network can use several modems. A modem need not
  be attached to the host itself.
 -The package hides the details of communicating with the modem from
  the clients (like dialing, terminal settings etc.).
 -The client does not need to know the internals of all different
  modems. In fact, it can use them all.
 -Just one interface to communicate with modems. No need for several
  different configuration files for each program that uses the modem.
 -Clients can concentrate on what they are designed for.
 -You can choose from a Motif, Xt or Tcl/Tk interface for the several
  clients which are included.

Identification:
 The identd server is used by modemd to identify the remote user of
 xmodem. So, this server needs to be running on your system.

Context sensitive help
 If you have netscape, you kan use the context sensitive help system
 from within the several tools included. Unfortunately this system is
 not as helpfull as it should be.

Platforms
 Currently the modem software is known to run on both Linux and
 Solaris 2.x (at least the x86 release) platforms.

Problems:
 Although this is beta software, it works fine for me.  When I
 started writing this software, I did not have any knowledge about X
 and Motif Programming, serial communication and pseudo terminals.
 The software could thus have several bugs. I hope you will inform me
 about any bugs, recommendations or improvements.

Todo:
-Implementation of a graphical phone book using the entries in the
 personal phone book. It should allow users to select and edit
 entries in the phone book.
-Several scripts that use the accounting information for making phone
 bills etc.
-Fax support.

Enjoy!
--