copy /var/sadm vs. install patch

Post by Julius We » Sat, 12 Sep 1998 04:00:00

I have 2 identical Sun Sparc systems.  I have installed a number of
Solaris patches in the first.  The second system is a backup of the
first without any patches installed yet.

Is copying all the files from /var/sadm in the 1st system to the second
system equivalent to installing the patches in the second system ?

(installing patches can take a long time if you have heaps of it and I'm
wondering if this saving-time method has any * side-effects e.g.
maybe some info is written into the kernel or some system files during
the installation that wouldn't take effect with a simple copy)

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Post by Dom Mitchel » Sat, 12 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> Is copying all the files from /var/sadm in the 1st system to the second
> system equivalent to installing the patches in the second system ?

No.
--
Dom Mitchell -- Palmer & Harvey McLane -- Unix Systems Administrator
"Xerox studies suggest that most people print out electronic mail

copy /var/sadm vs. install patch

Post by Alan Coopersmi » Sat, 12 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Is copying all the files from /var/sadm in the 1st system to the second
>system equivalent to installing the patches in the second system ?

No, the /var/sadm files are only the data about the patches - the
patches actually replace files all over the hard disk (for instance,
an openwin patch actually replaces the files in /usr/openwin).

If you're using Solaris 2.6, install the patchadd patch first, and
you'll greatly speed up the installation  of the rest of the patches.

Univ. of California at Berkeley         http://soar.Berkeley.EDU/~alanc/

copy /var/sadm vs. install patch

Post by Casper H.S. Dik - Network Security Engine » Tue, 15 Sep 1998 04:00:00

>Is copying all the files from /var/sadm in the 1st system to the second
>system equivalent to installing the patches in the second system ?

No, in fact the only thing you do is copy the record of installed files;
but you no fixes are applied.

You must apply the patches.

Casper
be fiction rather than truth.

1. Problem installing patch after removing /var/sadm/patch dir

Hi,

   I've the following problem and hoping someone could point me the
way to go. I've installed the recommended patch on my Ultra running
2.5.1 in the past. However, due to some lack of space in /var I
inadvertendly removed /var/sadm/patch ... Now showrev -p doesn't
show that I've any patch on my system. And newer patch cannot be
installed, since it either cannot find the package, or the prerequisite
patch.
   I need to install the latest Recommended patch & Y2K patch for Y2K
compliant. Any help or advice is appreciate.

Best regards,
Minh Nhat Lai - Bell Advanced Communications
Network Janitor - Network Tools & Operations
"Je penche donc je tombe" - Sanscartes

2. What does the future look like for more advanced file systems on FBSD?

3. /var/sadm/pkg empty -- patches fail to install

4. problems with quotas on solaris2.4

5. Can I remove outdated patches from /var/sadm/patch?

6. Networking

7. Old revs of jumbo patches - need to keep in /var/sadm/patch?

8. DR3 disc

9. how to rebuild /var/sadm/patch

10. Solaris Live upgrade: questions about /var/sadm/patch

11. /var/sadm/patch "clean" cleanup

12. Solaris patch - /var/sadm/pkg ?

13. default permission in /var/sadm/patch