1. Jumpstart Question: Solaris 2.6 vs Solaris 2.4
We have been successfully using Jumpstart to standardize the loading and
configuring of our servers and workstations for several years. Up until
now, the OS has been Solaris 2.4.
We are preparing to migrate to Solaris 2.6. I've sort of taken it upon
myself to begin looking at what sort of integration problems we can
anticipate having. My initial problem is that the same Jumpstart
diskette that worked on a Solaris 2.4 Jumpstart install does not appear
to work on a Solaris 2.6 Jumpstart installation.
For our Solaris 2.4 installations, the diskette is DOS formatted, the
rules file is good, rules.ok is good, etc. No problems.
Basically, what we do is we have a number of already configured system
files, Tcl, Ada runtime libraries and installation scripts for various
software packages and COTS applications that we copy from the diskette
to /usr/local, and then call all our installation routines from there.
The problem is that if I use the original Solaris 2.4 Jumpstart
diskette, the rules file is read fine, the OS is installed as
configured, but when the "postinst" (post installation) script is
executed, files that had been read and copied correctly in Solaris 2.4
are not visible to Solaris 2.6. The normal "set_root_passwd" script is
not even found by the OS even though it's in the correct directory (the
diskette is still being mounted to /tmp/install_config isn't it?).
Additionally, when I use the Solaris 2.6 File Manager to look at the
files on the Jumpstart diskette, I noticed that all the files are in
UPPER CASE when using the File Manager.
So, I read the AnswerBook for creating a Jumpstart diskette for Solaris
2.6, and the AnswerBook states to create a UFS diskette (Solaris 2.4
said the same thing as I remember...). However, when I use a UFS
diskette for a Jumpstart diskette, the OS cannot even find the
Has anything changed with Jumpstart for Solaris 2.6 that I'm missing?
My hardware platform is a SS20.
Thanks for your time.
2. Proxy referencing other proxy - possible?
3. Jumpstart for Solaris 2.5.1 versus Solaris 2.6, 2.7, 2.8
4. XFree86 2.0 Xconfig?
5. Netra T1, Solaris 2.6 & 2.8, Jumpstart from Solaris 2.7
6. Telephone dialing on command line?
7. Jumpstart 2.5.1 Client from a 2.6 Jumpstart Server
8. Alt+Fn does not work
9. Solaris 2.6 jumpstart - sysidcfg
10. solaris 2.6 floppy jumpstart
11. Solaris 8 jumpstart server wont build a 2.6 client
12. How to upgrade Solaris 2.6 to 8 by Jumpstart?
13. Solaris 2.6 jumpstart sysidcfg file