cable-modem again

Post by Adnan Alsamar » Tue, 05 Mar 2002 08:05:01

I got the netgear router and hooked up to the cable modem and then to the
sun. The sun still not connected to the internet. the dhcp failed to
istablish connection. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

cable-modem again

Post by Dr. Yuan Li » Tue, 05 Mar 2002 08:20:14

> I got the netgear router and hooked up to the cable modem and then to the
> sun. The sun still not connected to the internet. the dhcp failed to
> istablish connection. Any ideas?

So this is a DHCP problem.  The easiest fix probably is unconfig network
and reconfig.  But you could also read the doc and find out how to do
this with files.

Yuan Liu

cable-modem again

Post by aryzh » Tue, 05 Mar 2002 17:10:46

> > I got the netgear router and hooked up to the cable modem and then to the
> > sun. The sun still not connected to the internet. the dhcp failed to
> > istablish connection. Any ideas?

> So this is a DHCP problem.  The easiest fix probably is unconfig network
> and reconfig.  But you could also read the doc and find out how to do
> this with files.

Before starting to trouble-shoot DHCP, make sure your sun is REALLY
physically connected. snoop the network interface on Sun to see if
there is any activity on the Ethernet side.

If you know the Sun's side address of the router, try to assign
an unused temporary address to Sun's interface (using "ifconfig")
and ping the router. Only if that all succeeds, start with DHCP setup.

Regards,
Andrei

P.S. I, personally, prefere to use a fixed IP address on my Sun/cable,
finding it more simple and more secure. What you'd need apart from
router's IP address, are addresses of DNS servers, which you
can get from provider.

cable-modem again

Post by Adnan Alsamar » Wed, 06 Mar 2002 05:11:20

I have used the sys-uconfig and didn't user the dhcp this time. It did work.
I can ping my PC ip and it is alive. I can also ping my ip that is assigned
to my Sun and it is alive, however. I can not go out to the internet. I can
not see anything that is out of this box or out of my router. I can ping the
ip that was assigned to my computer but that is about it.
There is one thing. When I went through the sys-unconfig steps I chose none
for nis, nis+, dns. ...etc. Because I do not know what was good for me.

Thanks

> > > I got the netgear router and hooked up to the cable modem and then to
the
> > > sun. The sun still not connected to the internet. the dhcp failed to
> > > istablish connection. Any ideas?

> > So this is a DHCP problem.  The easiest fix probably is unconfig network
> > and reconfig.  But you could also read the doc and find out how to do
> > this with files.

> Before starting to trouble-shoot DHCP, make sure your sun is REALLY
> physically connected. snoop the network interface on Sun to see if
> there is any activity on the Ethernet side.

> If you know the Sun's side address of the router, try to assign
> an unused temporary address to Sun's interface (using "ifconfig")
> and ping the router. Only if that all succeeds, start with DHCP setup.

> Regards,
> Andrei

> P.S. I, personally, prefere to use a fixed IP address on my Sun/cable,
> finding it more simple and more secure. What you'd need apart from
> router's IP address, are addresses of DNS servers, which you
> can get from provider.

cable-modem again

Post by Dr. Yuan Li » Wed, 06 Mar 2002 10:44:02

> I have used the sys-uconfig and didn't user the dhcp this time. It did work.
> I can ping my PC ip and it is alive. I can also ping my ip that is assigned
> to my Sun and it is alive, however. I can not go out to the internet. I can
> not see anything that is out of this box or out of my router. I can ping the
> ip that was assigned to my computer but that is about it.
> There is one thing. When I went through the sys-unconfig steps I chose none
> for nis, nis+, dns. ...etc. Because I do not know what was good for me.

If you don't specify DNS and don't use DHCP, you'll have to use raw IP
to reach the Internet - or the intranet for that matter.  Find the IP of
a known server on the Internet and ping that IP.

If you can ping an Internet IP, then you need to figure out which DNS to
use.  (DHCP saves you all this.)  I use an SMC router that serves DNS; I
suspect your Netgear does the same.  In this case, just specify your
router's internal address.  If not, call your ISP to find out the IP
address of their name server.  Theoretically, you can use any name
server on the Internet, though that is not very considerate.

Yuan Liu

1. Cable modem..56 modem dial up, 500K cable modem download stream...

I have 2 network cards and 1 modem in a Linux Box with RH6.
My cable modem uses the modem to start a PPP session, and the network card
is then hooked up to the VPN of the ISP.

I would like to setup a IP Masquraded Firewall to hook some of my other
boxes
behind the firewall.

I  cannot find a HOW-TO to setup the Linux box using this type of Cable
Modem.  I
have only found 2 way cable modems.  Can someone point me it the right
direction.

My problem is that I don't know how to get Linux connected, then also, how
do I configure
ipchains or ipfwadm to use the correct rule set.  Do I do the modem or the
network card.  The
network card has a static IP of 10.0.0.1 which is usally used for VPNs.  My
cable company
is of corse not supporting Linux, so I have to do it myself.  The PPP dialup
uses DHCP to
assign my address so I have dhcp setup.

Thanks in advance..

Aaron

2. Kernel for 4Mb RAM 386

3. Cable Modem (COX @HOME), I NEED HELP SETTING UP MY CABLE MODEM WITH RH 5.1

4. Direct FB

5. @Home Cable Modem and RedHat 6.0 -- no packets get past the cable modem at all!

6. how can i use ab program ? usage is difficult.

7. Linksys/RR/Cable-Modem problems

8. Any way to get pid's of grand-, or great-grandchildren

9. Cox Cable installing a cable modem

10. cable-modem

11. natbox (cable-modem) with dialup backup?

12. Cable-Modem configuration with Cog├ęco ISP

13. Cable-modem