New to Solaris - tips please

Post by Learnin Uni » Sat, 09 Feb 2002 11:14:44

Hello all-

Thanks in advance for your help. I am adding new skills to my bag and
Solaris is the next one, I have a Sparc10 that was donated to my cause. I
was wondering what OS version would be recommended by that people out in the
working world and if there were some reading recommendations.

Thanks

Troy

New to Solaris - tips please

Post by Dennis Clark » Sat, 09 Feb 2002 13:35:23

> Hello all-

> Thanks in advance for your help. I am adding new skills to my bag and
> Solaris is the next one, I have a Sparc10 that was donated to my cause. I
> was wondering what OS version would be recommended by that people out in the
> working world and if there were some reading recommendations.

> Thanks

> Troy

Depending on how serious you are, do some of the following :

1 ) Install Solaris 8 on that Sparc 10
2 ) Download the 8_Recommended.zip from sunsolve.sun.com
3 ) Get a few more drives in external disk enclosures :
     3.1 ) Really old model 811 Part #595-2253 ,
     3.2 ) Reasonably old model 411 Part #595-2872 ,
     3.3 ) Any reasonable non-sun disk enclosure for SCSI disks
4 ) Get another CPU - or two - Part #501-2352 Option X1163
5 ) Get as much RAM as you can afford - Part #501-2480
6 ) Get another disk controller - Part #501-1869 Option X1054
7 ) Install Sun Volume Manager ( a.k.a Solstice DiskSuite )
8 ) ls /usr/bin and /usr/sbin, note the filenames
     and set aside a weekend to read the man pages on as many
     of them as you can.  Time consuming but the essence of good
     systems admins is having a good working knowledge of your
     tools
9 ) Go and buy a SparcStation 20 and put it on a network with
     your SS10.  You need a network to really learn Solaris
10 ) Do the certification exams
11 ) Learn to love coffee and become accustomed to feeling lost
      as it will happen often.  Solaris is not click and point
      Windows where you can just click about and eventually land
      on something.  Running some commands as the root user will
      do horrible things to you.  Learn to accept those sort of
      mistakes as part of the process.
13 ) spend a lot of time reading posts in comp.unix.solaris and
      if you see some good stuff written by someone then go to
      google.com and research the other things they may have written.
14 ) have fun !

Dennis Clarke
Certified Solaris Admin

ps: have a look at www.sunfreeware.com,  sunsolve.sun.com

New to Solaris - tips please

Post by Dennis Clark » Sat, 09 Feb 2002 13:38:45

Oh .. and one more thing I forgot:

   14 ) Buy a tape drive and learn how to use cpio, tar and ufsdump

There is nothing worse than being a new sysadmin and you don't know how to do
a backup and restore.

Dennis Clarke

New to Solaris - tips please

Post by Learnin Uni » Sat, 09 Feb 2002 14:17:07

Thank you !

> Oh .. and one more thing I forgot:

>  14 ) Buy a tape drive and learn how to use cpio, tar and ufsdump

> There is nothing worse than being a new sysadmin and you don't know how to do
> a backup and restore.

> Dennis Clarke

New to Solaris - tips please

Post by asi » Sat, 09 Feb 2002 17:11:03

> Hello all-

> Thanks in advance for your help. I am adding new skills to my bag and
> Solaris is the next one, I have a Sparc10 that was donated to my cause. I
> was wondering what OS version would be recommended by that people out in the
> working world and if there were some reading recommendations.

> Thanks

> Troy

Now a days Sun8.0 is working.You can take more help from www.sun.com.
with regards
Asif

New to Solaris - tips please

Post by Justin Stringfello » Sun, 10 Feb 2002 19:44:44

An SS10 is a great place to start IMO.

Quote:> 4 ) Get another CPU - or two - Part #501-2352 Option X1163

.. this is a luxury, you don't _need_ it. For the same money I'd be
buying a cdrom drive because you'll want it for installing Solaris and
packages, and reinstalling Solaris if you break it!

Quote:> 7 ) Install Sun Volume Manager ( a.k.a Solstice DiskSuite )

Careful, there are two products here:

SDS (Solstice Disksuite) a.k.a. ODS (Online Disksuite) - SUN's software
raid package.

SEVM (Solstice Enterprise Volume Manager) a.k.a. VXVM (Veritas Volume
Manager) - a 3rd party s/w raid product.

SDS is free, and easy to use. VXVM is licensed, and more complex.
They're both great products, but try SDS first.

Quote:> 8 ) ls /usr/bin and /usr/sbin, note the filenames
>      and set aside a weekend to read the man pages on as many
>      of them as you can.  Time consuming but the essence of good
>      systems admins is having a good working knowledge of your
>      tools

Yup, that's how I did it.

Quote:> 9 ) Go and buy a SparcStation 20 and put it on a network with
>      your SS10.  You need a network to really learn Solaris

It doesn't have to be a SS20... any reasonable Sparc will do! If you see
one, post it's spec on the site, we can tell you whether it's the right
sort of thing.

Quote:> 14 ) have fun !

The most important bit.

New to Solaris - tips please

Post by Rich Tee » Mon, 11 Feb 2002 03:53:19

> > 7 ) Install Sun Volume Manager ( a.k.a Solstice DiskSuite )

> Careful, there are two products here:

> SDS (Solstice Disksuite) a.k.a. ODS (Online Disksuite) - SUN's software
> raid package.

Disk Suite has had its name changed with Solaris 9.  It's now
Sun (or Solaris, probably the latter) Volume Manager.

--
Rich Teer

President,
Rite Online Inc.

Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

New to Solaris - tips please

Post by John Claxt » Mon, 25 Feb 2002 03:25:55

Didn't see a mention of sunfreeware.com - *lots* for great free
software, including "top" - something every sysadmin ought to have, to
use, to love, to charish, .... well you get the idea.
If you are planning on certification, try our site. We have over 1,000
free  questions:
http://www.networkessentials.com/certified/sca
jc