start apps when CDE starts

Post by Ted William » Fri, 06 Apr 2001 03:30:06

I've been trying to start a specific application after the CDE login. I've
entered the command in .dtprofile, as well as creating a sessionetc file and
putting it there. We'll it didn't work in the .sessionetc file, but it did
work in .dtprofile. The only problem is that this application runs in an
xterm, and it needs to remain open or else the application shut down. Now it
will start up but the window will close at some point and the application
will end. Does anyone know of a way to have the windows remain open and not
close? Here an example of the  command that I placed in .dtprofile:

xterm -e /space/home/startapp &

Thanks for the help...

start apps when CDE starts

Post by Philip Bro » Fri, 06 Apr 2001 14:40:03

>.... The only problem is that this application runs in an
>xterm, and it needs to remain open or else the application shut down. Now it
>will start up but the window will close at some point and the application
>will end. ...

Sounds like you have a broken app that keeps dying. xterms dont just
magically decide to stop running. Either someone closed the window, or the
app died.

So if you cant fix the app, make a shellscript looping wrapper for it, and
run that with xterm -e

The word of the day is mispergitude

start apps when CDE starts

Post by <buck_na.. » Sat, 07 Apr 2001 01:51:13

Let's separate this into two parts:

1.  You should use ~/.dt/session/sessionetc to start applications in a
similar way that ~/.xsession does in openwin.  Make sure that
~/.dt/session/sessionetc is executable.

2. When you invoke xterm with the -e option, the xterm process begins
and ends with whatever command you feed to it.  If one starts an xterm
with 'xterm -e /usr/local/bin/pine' an xterm will come up with pine in
it, but the moment you quit out of pine, the xterm is gone as well.
That's the way it works.  I think you are seeing your program end and
so the xterm disappears as well.

> I've been trying to start a specific application after the CDE login. I've
> entered the command in .dtprofile, as well as creating a sessionetc file and
> putting it there. We'll it didn't work in the .sessionetc file, but it did
> work in .dtprofile. The only problem is that this application runs in an
> xterm, and it needs to remain open or else the application shut down. Now it
> will start up but the window will close at some point and the application
> will end. Does anyone know of a way to have the windows remain open and not
> close? Here an example of the  command that I placed in .dtprofile:

> xterm -e /space/home/startapp &

> Thanks for the help...

---
Mark, Master of the Obvious

        "Gotta keep the loonies on the path."

start apps when CDE starts

Post by Philip Bro » Fri, 13 Apr 2001 07:05:38

>Let's separate this into two parts:

>1.  You should use ~/.dt/session/sessionetc to start applications in a
>similar way that ~/.xsession does in openwin.  Make sure that
>~/.dt/session/sessionetc is executable.

Hmmm? Where is this documented?

I see /usr/dt/config/sessionetc, but unlike
/etc/dt/config/sys.dtprofile, it makes no mention of anything under
$HOME/.dt/

ah, wait. it's in the "[CDE] advanced users and sysadmin guide".
ANd also in "man dtsession"

Make that

  $HOME/.dt/sessions/sessionetc

note the 's'

The word of the day is mispergitude

1. X starts, apps start, but I don't see apps

ntp-server.caltech.edu!news

Hi all --

For various arcane reasons, I recently took a hard drive containing a
RedHat Linux 6.1 installation out of the computer it had been in and
put it in a new computer.  Most things worked right away, but of
course X did not work with the new display card.  I ran Xconfigurator
and made a few edits by hand to XF86Config.  Now when I run startx, I
hear the monitor click indicating it has changed resolutions and I see
a black screen with a white mouse cursor in the middle, but that is
all.  Back in the tty, ps shows that gnome and all the apps have
started, but I never see them on the screen.

A possibly-related, possibly-unrelated problem is that I cannot get
the mouse to work.  The old system had a PS/2 mouse.  The new system
has no PS/2 mouse port.  However, it does have a serial port and in
the BIOS settings it says something about PS/2 mouse support.  My
friend (who gave me the new computer) gave me a gadget that allows you
to plug a PS/2 mouse into a DB9 serial port, which he had been
successfully using with the old computer under Windows NT.  However, I
have not gotten it to work with linux (I have tried saying the
protocol is PS/2 and saying it is Microsoft; and I have tried pointing
/dev/mouse to all the various serial ports -- cua0-cua3 and
ttyS0-ttyS3) or Windows 98 which says at bootup that no mouse was
found.

Could mouse problems cause my other symptom, that the running apps
never show up on screen?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give,
Bob

2. licenses ?

3. Starting devel on network server app. Need help starting out.

4. 32BitsOnline Joins Forces with freshmeat

5. can't start apps after kppp starts

6. What card recommended to replace Madge 16 at work?

7. Apps no longer start remotely [was: Re: GVIM no longer starts...]

8. ksh93 question

9. Why does ipppd start a connection when I start an app?

10. CDE - start app in specific workspace?

11. CDE, how to start app in another workspace?

12. Starting an app in a given CDE workspace?

13. CDE: How to start apps on a specific workspace