nfs fails to work gives mount: RPC: Program not registered

nfs fails to work gives mount: RPC: Program not registered

Post by Duke » Tue, 01 Apr 2003 19:28:16

i have 2 solaris servers
but on one of them nfs fails to work (ie. on A) the way it should,
while on my 2nd B machine it works fine

the solaris macine A even though having nfsd, mountd enabled doesnt
seem to work properly

my 2nd machine B gives this when rpcinfo -p localhost
100003    2   udp   2049  nfs
    100003    3   udp   2049  nfs
    100227    2   udp   2049  nfs_acl
    100227    3   udp   2049  nfs_acl
    100003    2   tcp   2049  nfs
    100003    3   tcp   2049  nfs
    100227    2   tcp   2049  nfs_acl
    100227    3   tcp   2049  nfs_acl
100000    4   tcp    111  rpcbind
    100000    3   tcp    111  rpcbind
    100000    2   tcp    111  rpcbind
    100000    4   udp    111  rpcbind
    100000    3   udp    111  rpcbind
    100000    2   udp    111  rpcbind

while my first A gives
program vers proto   port  service
    100000    4   tcp    111  rpcbind
    100000    3   tcp    111  rpcbind
    100000    2   tcp    111  rpcbind
    100000    4   udp    111  rpcbind
    100000    3   udp    111  rpcbind
    100000    2   udp    111  rpcbind
1289637086    5   tcp  32917
1289637086    1   tcp  32917

only.

i have a feeling some services are not working or have stopped though
dont know which ones, and so is my nfs failing to really work, when
given the command
mount <machine A ip>:/usr/local /mnt/local
from a remote maching

any help on the same
regards

Post by Dave Uhrin » Tue, 01 Apr 2003 22:07:37

> i have 2 solaris servers
> but on one of them nfs fails to work (ie. on A) the way it should,
> while on my 2nd B machine it works fine

> the solaris macine A even though having nfsd, mountd enabled doesnt
> seem to work properly

Compare the exact syntax of the /etc/dfs/dfstab files on the servers and
correct that on A.  Then execute:

# /etc/init.d/nfs.server stop
# /etc/init.d/nfs.server start

nfs fails to work gives mount: RPC: Program not registered

Post by Bart Smaalde » Wed, 02 Apr 2003 17:05:39

Gotcha alert: if /etc/dfs/dfstab is empty, the nfs server
_won't_ start.  So if you start off with an empty dfstab
the following will _NOT_ work:

# /etc/init.d/nfs.server start
# share /export
#

- Bart

> > i have 2 solaris servers
> > but on one of them nfs fails to work (ie. on A) the way it should,
> > while on my 2nd B machine it works fine

> > the solaris macine A even though having nfsd, mountd enabled doesnt
> > seem to work properly

> Compare the exact syntax of the /etc/dfs/dfstab files on the servers and
> correct that on A.  Then execute:

> # /etc/init.d/nfs.server stop
> # /etc/init.d/nfs.server start

1. NFS mount fails with "RPC: program not registered"; help!

        Hello,

        I have two Red Hat Linux systems.  One (call it A) runs 5.2, and I
just upgraded the other one (call it B) from 4 to 6.2.  Each of the two
systems exports a directory, via NFS, to the other.  As soon as I upgraded
B to 6.2, A can no longer mount B's exported directory via NFS.  When I
try "mount -t nfs ...", I get the error message "Mount: RPC: program not
registered".  Computer B has no problem getting A's exported directory via
NFS, however.

        I've looked through all the FAQs and articles I could find on
this, with not much luck.  The best I could find is that it's something
with portmap and hosts.allow / deny, but I don't know just what to do with
them.  If any of you can offer me any help, I would be most grateful.
Thanks!

--Michael Tsurikov
UT Austin Dept. of Aerospace Engineering

2. jar dependencies

3. NFS mount problems: mount clntudp_create: RPC: Program not registered

4. Redhat 8 -> Redhat 9 Upgrade Breaks Desktop

5. NFS: mount clntudp_create: RPC: Program not registered

6. Free Linux?

7. Help! NFS mount: RPC: Program not registered

8. Unixware 2.03 Semaphore handling problem

9. NFS problem - mount cntupd_create: RPC: Program not registered

10. NFS problem mount: RPC: Program not registered

11. nfs mount -- RPC: Program not registered

12. Openwindows filemgr give "rpc : program not registered" message

13. Help! NFS daemon fails w/RPC not registered.