Solstice Backup 4.2.6: Archiving vs. backup.

Solstice Backup 4.2.6: Archiving vs. backup.

Post by Tom Zilli » Sat, 31 Jan 1998 04:00:00

I'm thinking about adding the Archival element to my Solstice Network Edition
backup server.  The manuals don't have anything like a "bullet-list" to
explain what is different between the standard "client backup" I'm familiar
with and the "Archive" feature I'm considering.

Anyone have a nuts & bolts synopsis for a person who has already Read
(or at least skimmed) The Fine Manuals?

Thanks in advance.

Tom Zillig

==================Bumper Stickers========================================
* Jesus is coming, everyone look busy.
* Horn broken, watch for finger.
* Hang up and drive.
* Ask me about microwaving cats for fun and profit.
* Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie!'... till you
  can find a rock.

Solstice Backup 4.2.6: Archiving vs. backup.

Post by Peter C. Tribb » Sat, 31 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> I'm thinking about adding the Archival element to my Solstice Network Edition
> backup server.  The manuals don't have anything like a "bullet-list" to
> explain what is different between the standard "client backup" I'm familiar
> with and the "Archive" feature I'm considering.

> Anyone have a nuts & bolts synopsis for a person who has already Read
> (or at least skimmed) The Fine Manuals?

Backup is done on a file basis. Archiving simply saves whatever you
tell it to as a single chunk. You want it back, you get the whole
archive back. You can't browse inside a saved archive to look at the
files. You can't ask what archive contains a particular file. You just
get to type in a description of the archive.

(The problem is that user finishes a project, we archive it, six months
later user comes to us and wants one file back. Duh.)

Archives are saved forever (well, unless you bin the tapes) whereas
backups tend to be kept for a short time (of course, you can keep
backup tapes forever). You really want a twin-drive system and to clone
the archive tapes.

--
-Peter Tribble
HGMP Computing Services