Help! getting host name is impossible!

Post by Maurizio Codog » Tue, 13 Jun 1995 04:00:00

After changing local subnet (but I see nothing strange with netstat -r)
I have noticed huges delays in resolving names from programs with my
SparcStation 10 running Solaris 2.4 . When I say huge, I mean 1 minute or
so! It happens with traceroute, Mosaic, sendmail... However if I use
nslookup or nstest, response times seem to be quite normal, so it does not
seem to be a simple `bad network' problem. Funny is, if I rerun a sendmail
-M it starts immediately, but it takes a lot to start even if I had asked
to nslookup to resolve the network address (and I have even added localhost
to the resolvers, to have a cache ready).

Does anybody have any idea to explain this behavior?

ciao, .mau.

1. HELP getting host names

How can I access the host name of a machine from within a user`s
C program.  I want the entire network name such as nimitz.mcs.kent.edu

I tried using the gethostname() command but can`t seem to get it to
work properly.  I get a name_length of size 0 and of course nothing for
the name.

Any direction or code segment would be greatly appreciated.

Please reply via email to my address below.

2. miroMEDIA 3d setup

3. C interface to encr3des

4. Help: getting error "httpd: cannot determine local host name"

5. Unix - Frequently Asked Questions (Contents) [Frequent posting]

6. HELP getting host names

7. Trouble with SCSI adapter

8. Why am I getting "ether: unknown host"?

9. Is there am MAXIMUM size for etc/host names

10. Can't ping the host name or host IP address from host.

11. /etc/hosts (or NIS host map): official-host-name vs nicknames

12. help: named trouble with named.hosts