numlock key

Post by Geoff Kingsmil » Wed, 15 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Solaris 2.5 with a Type5 SG-Keyboard

I am having problems redefining the numlock key for use under xterm.
I created a test resource file as follows:-

# cat newxterm
newxterm*VT100.Translations: override \
<Key>Num_Lock: string("testnl")
# xrdb newxterm
# xterm -name newxterm

When you press the Num_Lock using the newxterm you get "testnl" printed
every second time the key is pressed. Each alternate Num_Lock key stroke
prints nothing.

I then tried adding each the following resource files which also made no
difference:-

# cat newxterm
newxterm*VT100.Translations: override          \

# cat newxterm
newxterm*VT100.Translations: override  \

xev shows a Num_Lock key event each time, with the state changing from 0x0
to 0x20 (Mod3).

Can anyone shed any light as to why "testnl" is only displayed every second
(alternate) time the Num_Lock key is pressed.

Thanks,
Geoff..

numlock key

Post by Geoff Kingsmil » Sat, 18 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Quote:># cat newxterm
>newxterm*VT100.Translations: override \
><Key>Num_Lock: string("testnl")
># xrdb newxterm
># xterm -name newxterm

>When you press the Num_Lock using the newxterm you get "testnl" printed
>every second time the key is pressed. Each alternate Num_Lock key stroke
>prints nothing.

Thanks to Albert Chin for answering this question.
The following lines worked fine.

# cat newxterm
newxterm*VT100.Translations: override \
<KeyPress>Num_Lock: string("testnl")\n\
<KeyRelease>Num_Lock: string("testnl")
# xrdb newxterm
# xterm -name newxterm

1. How to have the NUMLOCK key on by default in X-Windows?

I looked everywhere for a way to do this.  I finally came across a way to patch the
kernel so that the NUMLOCK key is on by default in VC's (at the console).  But as
soon as I startx, the LED goes off.  When I exit X-Windows, back to the console, it
comes back on again!

Tried using xset led ..., didn't work for me.  PLEASE, somebody help me with this !!
If this is in an FAQ somewhere, then I apologize, please direct me to it :)

Thanks,

Steve

2. Removing profiles...

3. Programming NumLock key

4. Welcome to comp.unix.shell [Frequent posting]

5. numlock key

6. Few questions about NetBSD

7. Fvwm2 and the numlock-key

8. Distributed Database

9. Amazing NumLock key

10. How to have the NUMLOCK key on by default in X-Windows?

11. Help: Setting/Resetting NumLock Key?

12. NumLock key on my laptop under X

13. NumLock Key?