Solaris 7 x86 Headless Server Setup

Post by Soungmin Par » Fri, 23 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Hi there...
I have a problem with setting Headless System.
I tried to set up as Solaris x86 FAQ described but no luck.
It hangs while primary boot system is running without keyboard attached.

(I have Asus P2-DS).
As soon as I put keyboard plug back, it starts again.

Please help me how to setup headless system.

Thank you in advance.

Post by Philip Bro » Fri, 23 Apr 1999 04:00:00

>Hi there...
>I have a problem with setting Headless System.
>I tried to set up as Solaris x86 FAQ described but no luck.
>It hangs while primary boot system is running without keyboard attached.

>(I have Asus P2-DS).
>As soon as I put keyboard plug back, it starts again.

>Please help me how to setup headless system.

Some hardware cannot be run headless as suns can. You need something to fake
being a keyboard.

The word of the day is sescaquintillion

Solaris 7 x86 Headless Server Setup

Post by anay » Mon, 26 Apr 1999 04:00:00

This is wrong.

I run dozens of Solaris x86 boxes without keyboards or monitors.
(I use tip cables going to terminal servers.)

Once the OS is installed, you can direct both the screen and keyboard
to a serial port.

Just do (on a Solaris 7 x86 system, for example)

eeprom input-device=ttya
eeprom output-device=ttya

They are normally keyboard and screen respectively. See man eeprom
for more info.

-Anay

> >Hi there...
> >I have a problem with setting Headless System.
> >I tried to set up as Solaris x86 FAQ described but no luck.
> >It hangs while primary boot system is running without keyboard attached.

> >(I have Asus P2-DS).
> >As soon as I put keyboard plug back, it starts again.

> >Please help me how to setup headless system.

> Some hardware cannot be run headless as suns can. You need something to fake
> being a keyboard.

> --
> [Trim the no-bots from my address to reply to me by email!]
> [ Do NOT email-CC me on posts. Pick one or the other.]
>  --------------------------------------------------
> The word of the day is sescaquintillion

Solaris 7 x86 Headless Server Setup

Post by Regit Youn » Mon, 26 Apr 1999 04:00:00

I don't see why that is wrong, some bios just refuse to bootup without a keyboard
and/or graphic card  .... for instance, the one in my box.

Quote:> This is wrong.

> I run dozens of Solaris x86 boxes without keyboards or monitors.
> (I use tip cables going to terminal servers.)

> Just do (on a Solaris 7 x86 system, for example)

> eeprom input-device=ttya
> eeprom output-device=ttya

And this would assume that the box does bootup and get to OS....

> They are normally keyboard and screen respectively. See man eeprom
> for more info.

> -Anay

> > >Hi there...
> > >I have a problem with setting Headless System.
> > >I tried to set up as Solaris x86 FAQ described but no luck.
> > >It hangs while primary boot system is running without keyboard attached.

> > >(I have Asus P2-DS).
> > >As soon as I put keyboard plug back, it starts again.

> > >Please help me how to setup headless system.

> > Some hardware cannot be run headless as suns can. You need something to fake
> > being a keyboard.

> > --
> > [Trim the no-bots from my address to reply to me by email!]
> > [ Do NOT email-CC me on posts. Pick one or the other.]
> >  --------------------------------------------------
> > The word of the day is sescaquintillion

--
~ cry for help from a overworked box ~
I've been working for 9 weeks 4 days 23 hours 17 minutes

1. headless server 2.6 x86

I want to have a headless 2.6 x86 server
I've gotten dos with the autoexec.bat file write a date/time entry on disk.
it works without a video card
I tried doing this under solaris 2.6x86 and it just won't boot!
anyone know where I can get information on this?!?

the funny thing is I already have a pentium 2.6 x86 headless server running
on this network.
I know to disable S99dtlogin and S80kdmconfig in rc2.d
The only thing different with this server is it a Dual Pentium 166.   I
wonder it this is the problem?

Anyone know where to find more info on this?
Thanks,

2. Script to bring eth0 down and then up again.

3. x86 Solaris 8 - headless

4. Linux 2.0.25 file time.c = assembler error!!!!

5. sendmail server setup for Solaris 2.5.1 x86

6. effective and real uids

7. SunRAY Server Software for x86 Linux && x86 Solaris

8. Xfilemanager and segmentation fault

9. Solaris x86 as Internet Provider + Lite vs Full Solaris Server

10. Mosaic server (cern) server on solaris x86 2.4?

11. FS: Solaris 2.5 Desktop (CDE) and/or Solaris 2.5 Server Packages for x86 desktops

12. Solaris 2.3 as Solaris/x86 install server?

13. Use Solaris x86 or Linux v2 for Web server and email server??