Doing net install with 2 ethernet cards in place?

Doing net install with 2 ethernet cards in place?

Post by Paul Slootm » Fri, 22 Sep 1995 04:00:00

We have set up a machine to act as an install server, and via "custom
jumpstart" and a boot floppy can now install Solaris on our x86 systems
via IP.

So far, so good. However, these machines will at some time all have two
network cards installed (we're currently using 3com 509b's). When we
tried installing onto one of these machines with two network cards in
place, at first all looks well, until it gets to the point of starting
the kernel, where it hangs. Running snoop on a third machine to see what's
going on on the network, we found it hangs after replying "ICMP Time
exceeded (in transit)".

_Is_ it possible to install Solaris 2.4 with two network cards installed?
Or must one always remove the second card during the installation phase?

(We currently use driver update 2; we tried DU 8, but that did not seem
to fix the above problem, it in fact created (other) problems, but we're
not sure yet whether the hardware may have something to do with this...)

Paul Slootman
--
key to UNIX: echo '16i[q]sa[ln0=aln100%Pln100/snlbx]sbA0D4D465452snlbxq'|dc

Post by Lorna Dreisba » Thu, 28 Sep 1995 04:00:00

>We have set up a machine to act as an install server, and via "custom
>jumpstart" and a boot floppy can now install Solaris on our x86 systems
>via IP.

>So far, so good. However, these machines will at some time all have two
>network cards installed (we're currently using 3com 509b's). When we
>tried installing onto one of these machines with two network cards in
>place, at first all looks well, until it gets to the point of starting
>the kernel, where it hangs. Running snoop on a third machine to see what's
>going on on the network, we found it hangs after replying "ICMP Time
>exceeded (in transit)".

>_Is_ it possible to install Solaris 2.4 with two network cards installed?
>Or must one always remove the second card during the installation phase?

>(We currently use driver update 2; we tried DU 8, but that did not seem
>to fix the above problem, it in fact created (other) problems, but we're
>not sure yet whether the hardware may have something to do with this...)

>Paul Slootman
>--
>key to UNIX: echo '16i[q]sa[ln0=aln100%Pln100/snlbx]sbA0D4D465452snlbxq'|dc

Yes, it is possible.  However, if they use the same driver, only one of
them will work.  In your case, this is true.  The problem you described
is the expected behavior when the "wrong" one is chosen.  If you choose
the other one, it should work.  If it doesn't, take one of the cards
out to install, curse me, and let me know so I can file a bug.

In general, the card with the lower IO address will be the one that will
work.  I _think_ it's also the one that appears first in the device menu.

---

SunSoft, Inc.
Los Angeles, California