NIS: Changing Passwords from Clients

Post by news-west.usenet.co » Mon, 11 Oct 2004 12:51:57

I have a master and slave server.  From a client, if a user does a yppasswd
and changes their password, it's not really changed on either one of the
servers.  I have to go to the master server and as root do a yppasswd <user>
and change it for them then put ithe maps out.  Any idea what I'm missing
here?

-brian

                http://www.usenet.com

NIS: Changing Passwords from Clients

Post by Michael Laajane » Tue, 12 Oct 2004 07:47:06

HI,

> I have a master and slave server.  From a client, if a user does a yppasswd
> and changes their password, it's not really changed on either one of the
> servers.  I have to go to the master server and as root do a yppasswd <user>
> and change it for them then put ithe maps out.  Any idea what I'm missing
> here?

You don't have to use yppasswd, use passwd!

What machines are the clients, Linux or Solaris or SunOS 4.x ?

What machines are the servers?

/michael

NIS: Changing Passwords from Clients

Post by news-west.usenet.co » Wed, 13 Oct 2004 13:12:17

The servers are both Solaris 8.
Most of the clients are Redhat 7.3 but some are Solaris 8.

-brian

> HI,

> > I have a master and slave server.  From a client, if a user does a
yppasswd
> > and changes their password, it's not really changed on either one of the
> > servers.  I have to go to the master server and as root do a yppasswd
<user>
> > and change it for them then put ithe maps out.  Any idea what I'm
missing
> > here?
> You don't have to use yppasswd, use passwd!

> What machines are the clients, Linux or Solaris or SunOS 4.x ?

> What machines are the servers?

> /michael

                http://www.usenet.com

1. Can't change NIS+ password in NIS+ client

hello,

I get some trouble about change NIS+ password in NIS+ clinet.

When I try to change password in NIS+ client, as follow

NIS+ client -xxx- passwd
passwd: Changing password for xxx
Enter existing login password:
New Password:
Re-enter new Password:
Permission denied

ya, I get the message, Permission denied!!!

I dont know what happen, I alreay keylogin and be authenticated.

In the log, I get the message,

Oct 13 02:35:44 NIS+ client passwd[3706]: [ID 897924 user.error]
Couldn't make a client handle to NIS+ password daemon

Oct 13 02:35:44 NIS+ client passwd[3706]: [ID 897924 user.error]
Couldn't make a client handle to NIS+ password daemon

And the more strange thing is passwd works fine in NIS+ server,

NIS+ server -xxx- passwd
Enter existing login password:
New Password:
Re-enter new Password:
passwd: password successfully changed for xxx
passwd: credential information changed for xxx

Does anyone have any idea?

thx in advanced~~~~

2. SATAN password ?

3. Changing from NIS client t NIS+ Client

4. Applying tcp_input.c patch

5. Changing passwords from 4.1.x client on Sol 2 server running NIS+

6. Sharing CD-ROM with Samba on Linux ??

7. HELP- change root password of NIS+ client and server host

8. getting the i740 driver

9. NIS password not updating right away on NIS client running CentOS

10. NIS+ user management [Was: Re: root changing a user's password (NIS)]

11. Change NIS Password Error: yppasswdd: Sorry: < 14 days since the last change

12. NIS : auth problem with Linux nis server and SUN sparc nis client

13. NIS+ : Can an HP be a NIS client to a Sun NIS+ server