DHCP and DNS setup

Post by Adam Meyerowit » Fri, 16 Nov 2001 10:32:44

Hello,

I attempting to setup DHCP on my Solaris 8 box and having some
difficulties.

DHCP works fine.  My machine gets and IP address, etc.  However I cannot
get DNS to work.  I have modified /etc/nsswitch.conf to include dns in
the hosts entry.  I have also created the /etc/resolv.conf and added two
nameserver entries.  As a last ditch effort I have also modified
/etc/default/dhcpagent to attempt to get the nameservers through dhcp
(one of the lines let's you add the dhcp numbers of configuration items
that should be retrieved during the dhcp discovery process.....I can't
recall which line it is).

On our network we also have Windows 2000 machines which are all
configured to get the ip address information as well as the dns
information from the dhcp server.  All of this works as expected.

Also, I believe our dhcp server is a Windows NT or 2000 machine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Adam

DHCP and DNS setup

Post by sa5ki » Fri, 16 Nov 2001 15:11:01

Did you also added your domainname in your /etc/resolv.conf?

Quote:> Hello,

> I attempting to setup DHCP on my Solaris 8 box and having some
> difficulties.

> DHCP works fine.  My machine gets and IP address, etc.  However I cannot
> get DNS to work.  I have modified /etc/nsswitch.conf to include dns in
> the hosts entry.  I have also created the /etc/resolv.conf and added two
> nameserver entries.  As a last ditch effort I have also modified
> /etc/default/dhcpagent to attempt to get the nameservers through dhcp
> (one of the lines let's you add the dhcp numbers of configuration items
> that should be retrieved during the dhcp discovery process.....I can't
> recall which line it is).

> On our network we also have Windows 2000 machines which are all
> configured to get the ip address information as well as the dns
> information from the dhcp server.  All of this works as expected.

> Also, I believe our dhcp server is a Windows NT or 2000 machine.

> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

> Thanks,
> Adam

DHCP and DNS setup

Post by Jonathan Hay » Fri, 16 Nov 2001 15:25:18

> DHCP works fine.  My machine gets and IP address, etc.  However I cannot
> get DNS to work.  I have modified /etc/nsswitch.conf to include dns in
> the hosts entry.  I have also created the /etc/resolv.conf and added two
> nameserver entries.  As a last ditch effort I have also modified
> /etc/default/dhcpagent to attempt to get the nameservers through dhcp
> (one of the lines let's you add the dhcp numbers of configuration items
> that should be retrieved during the dhcp discovery process.....I can't

Post the contents of your /etc/resolv.conf file so we can have a look.

Are you sure you have the correct DNS IP addresses? Start with one server.
First try pinging the DNS server
Next, if the address is 192.168.1.1, try  "nslookup  -  192.168.1.1" to
start an interactive session with the DNS server.

DHCP and DNS setup

Post by Adam Meyerowi » Sat, 17 Nov 2001 00:21:11

Thanks for all the help........I figured it out actually.  In the
/etc/default/dhcpagent the dhcp client was not configured to ask for
the DNS domain name (#15).  Once I added that everything works fine.
I also got rid of my resolv.conf and added DNSServ to dhcpagent (#6)
so now everything is dynamic.  I would think that these items should
be in there by default but that's water under the bridge.

Again I appreciate the help,
Adam Meyerowitz

Post by smmg.. » Tue, 20 Nov 2001 01:31:36

> Hello,

> I attempting to setup DHCP on my Solaris 8 box and having some
> difficulties.

> DHCP works fine.  My machine gets and IP address, etc.  However I cannot
> get DNS to work.  I have modified /etc/nsswitch.conf to include dns in
> the hosts entry.  I have also created the /etc/resolv.conf and added two
> nameserver entries.  As a last ditch effort I have also modified
> /etc/default/dhcpagent to attempt to get the nameservers through dhcp
> (one of the lines let's you add the dhcp numbers of configuration items
> that should be retrieved during the dhcp discovery process.....I can't
> recall which line it is).

> On our network we also have Windows 2000 machines which are all
> configured to get the ip address information as well as the dns
> information from the dhcp server.  All of this works as expected.

> Also, I believe our dhcp server is a Windows NT or 2000 machine.

> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

> Thanks,
> Adam

Hello Adam,

If I understand your problem correctly, you are unable to get your Solaris8
box onto the internet. OK -- good news , I've had the exact same problem in
fact  my problem now is to stop the Solaris8 box from loosing its marbles
when it is rebooted. Anyway  the anwser to your problem  is to bring up an
terminal log in as root and add a default route, like this : route add
default (ip_address of gateway router or proxy server) thats it! Good luck
-Gene

1. How-to's for dns/dhcp server setup

I'm looking to use a Linux RH server to perform dns and dhcp tasks on our
intranet rather than being tied to an enterprise dns/dhcp server and
service.

Can anyone point me to what I need to do to setup a server for dns/dhcp. I
have an assigned fixed ip for the box, all of the domain (ours and the
enterprise) info, paths, gates, routers, etc...

Thanks

Bob

2. Blocked processes queue

3. DHCP and DNS server setup

4. BootP software

5. DHCP doesn't setup DNS or Default Route

6. Fax nodem source code

7. DHCP or DNS on a small home network setup?

8. linux ppc prodject

9. HLP:dhcp setup but need static dns

10. DHCP, DNS/Dynamic DNS???

11. Dynamic DNS not working with Solaris DHCP/DNS server and win clients

12. Redhat 9.0 dhcp client & windows 2003 dhcp server: dynamic dns update