Mitsumi DoubleSpeed not RECOGNIZED?

Post by Breakdo » Sat, 27 Apr 1996 04:00:00

Hi. I have bought Solaris 2.4/x86 awhile ago, and eversince then, I have
not been able to get my Mitsumi 2x speed CDROM to be recognized by the
Solaris boot disk. Solaris came with a single boot disk and a distribution
CDROM

It is model FX-001D, it is not a ATAPI Mitsumi, nor is it a SCSI CDROM.

Is there any hope for me? I am majorly pissed off and frustrated because I
can not put Solaris on my machine, Sun doesn't seem to help me much either
when I call them up, they keep asking me if I am under a contract(which I
am not), so on, and so forth.... I am stomped... Someone *please* give me a
clue as to how do I get my Solaris up and running.. :(

very sad,
Martin

Mitsumi DoubleSpeed not RECOGNIZED?

Post by Dennis Pantazi » Sun, 28 Apr 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> Hi. I have bought Solaris 2.4/x86 awhile ago, and eversince then, I have
> not been able to get my Mitsumi 2x speed CDROM to be recognized by the
> Solaris boot disk. Solaris came with a single boot disk and a distribution
> CDROM

> It is model FX-001D, it is not a ATAPI Mitsumi, nor is it a SCSI CDROM.

> Is there any hope for me? I am majorly pissed off and frustrated because I
> can not put Solaris on my machine, Sun doesn't seem to help me much either
> when I call them up, they keep asking me if I am under a contract(which I
> am not), so on, and so forth.... I am stomped... Someone *please* give me a
> clue as to how do I get my Solaris up and running.. :(

> very sad,
> Martin

No, It will not work, I know I had the same problem.  The problem is the
FX-001D is IDE, but its a proprietary IDE and Solaris won't recognize
it.  The only hope for you is to buy a EIDE/IDE cdrom that will behave
like a HD.  I believe that the Sony 55 is a 2x that will work, check the
hardware compatibility guide or the web page (don't ask me, once I found
it I copied it to disk).  This is assuming that you HD controller will
handle 2 or more IDE drive, you will propably have to configure the  BIOS
to handle it.

I went to Best Buy with the hardware guide and picked up Reveal CDROM kit,
~150, its actually the Mitsumi FX-400, and it is recognized be Solaris
install (ver 2.5).  I did not use the updated disk, but you might if you
have an older release.  Reveal is running a $50 rebate too.. I think that
WalMart also carries the drive, Reveal is soo well marketed that you
should not have a problem finding one.

I am in no way endorsing the Reveal, it was the cheapest local CDROM i
could find...(imagine my amaxement when I found a component that would
work under Solaris)

If you have a decent machine I would encourage you to get a SCSI card and
get a SCSI CDROM, and when you upgrade your HD's get SCSI ones, they just
seem to be a better setup than IDE.

Good luck!

Dennis

Dennis Pantazis                         My opinions are my own, and can not

Graduate Student in Civil Engineering   University's official policies,
University of Illinois-Urbana           until they decide my opinion are
(the Extended Tour of Duty continues)   profitable to the institution!

You can see us at:  http://www.students.uiuc.edu/~pantazis