Timer drift on Solaris 2.6

Post by Ganesh Ramasiva » Wed, 23 Jun 1999 04:00:00

There seems to be a noticeable timer drift on my Ultra Sparc IIi running
Solaris 2.6. I am trying to get a periodicity of 100 millisecs but ever
so often there is a drift of upto 10 ms.

Any views??

Ganesh

Timer drift on Solaris 2.6

Post by Martin Hepwort » Thu, 24 Jun 1999 04:00:00

> There seems to be a noticeable timer drift on my Ultra Sparc IIi running
> Solaris 2.6. I am trying to get a periodicity of 100 millisecs but ever
> so often there is a drift of upto 10 ms.

> Any views??

> Ganesh

Ganesh
use ntpd (it's on Solaris 2.6) to connect to one of atomic clocks on the
i'net. This will aslo 'learn' your clock drift and compensate should you
loose the internet connection.

martin

Timer drift on Solaris 2.6

Post by Pat Nola » Sat, 26 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Martin,

I am looking into setting up NTP on a couple of servers that I run together
for load balancing.  I am also running Sol. 2.6 but did not find ntpd in the
os.  I have done a full load plus OEM support but I still do not see it.  Am
I reading your message wrong that ntpd is bundled w/ Solaris or do you mean
that ntpd has been ported to Sol. 2.6.

I am also a little confused as far as the configuration.  From what I read
the docs only talk about setting up a clock server.  What if I only want to
clock off of a secondary server.

Pat

Quote:>Ganesh
>use ntpd (it's on Solaris 2.6) to connect to one of atomic clocks on the
>i'net. This will aslo 'learn' your clock drift and compensate should you
>loose the internet connection.

>martin

Timer drift on Solaris 2.6

Post by Casper H.S. Dik - Network Security Engine » Sat, 26 Jun 1999 04:00:00

>I am looking into setting up NTP on a couple of servers that I run together
>for load balancing.  I am also running Sol. 2.6 but did not find ntpd in the
>os.  I have done a full load plus OEM support but I still do not see it.  Am
>I reading your message wrong that ntpd is bundled w/ Solaris or do you mean
>that ntpd has been ported to Sol. 2.6.

It's called "xntpd"

Quote:>I am also a little confused as far as the configuration.  From what I read
>the docs only talk about setting up a clock server.  What if I only want to
>clock off of a secondary server.

Easy, just put the pointer in ntp.conf.

Casper
be fiction rather than truth.

Timer drift on Solaris 2.6

Post by Andrew Hoo » Sun, 27 Jun 1999 04:00:00

> [[ PLEASE DON'T SEND ME EMAIL COPIES OF POSTINGS ]]

> >I am looking into setting up NTP on a couple of servers that I run together
> >for load balancing.  I am also running Sol. 2.6 but did not find ntpd in the
> >os.  I have done a full load plus OEM support but I still do not see it.  Am
> >I reading your message wrong that ntpd is bundled w/ Solaris or do you mean
> >that ntpd has been ported to Sol. 2.6.

> It's called "xntpd"

As ntp is a package in Solaris it might not have been installed. You
might need to "pkgadd" it from the CDs.

Quote:> >I am also a little confused as far as the configuration.  From what I read
> >the docs only talk about setting up a clock server.  What if I only want to
> >clock off of a secondary server.

> Easy, just put the pointer in ntp.conf.

That is /etc/inet/ntp.conf (SysV filesystem layout), and the package
install creates examples as /etc/inet/ntp*

Quote:

> Casper
> --
> Expressed in this posting are my opinions.  They are in no way related
> to opinions held by my employer, Sun Microsystems.
> Statements on Sun products included here are not gospel and may
> be fiction rather than truth.

--
These activities have their own rules and methods
of concealment which seek to mislead and obscure.

Timer drift on Solaris 2.6

Post by Chris Raymon » Tue, 29 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

NTPD is in there on stock Solaris 2.6, as 'xntpd'.  Also, while the
docs may seem to talk primarily about setting up a new reference clock,
that's only because there are so many ways to do that wrong.  Just
create an /etc/inet/ntp.conf file and start up xntpd.  A simple one,
creating a secondary server, with the multicast client turned off,
might read like:

enable monitor
driftfile /var/ntp/ntp.drift
server  w.x.y.z
server  p.q.r.s

logconfig  +syncall +sysall +peerall
filegen   peerstats type day enable
filegen   loopstats type day enable

The last 3 lines are just about logging and can be omitted if you don't
wnat history of how you did.  All of this is in the man pages under
xntpd
ntpdate

Good luck,
Chris Raymond

On Fri, 25 Jun 1999, Pat Nolan

<SNIP>

Timer drift on Solaris 2.6

Post by gramasi.. » Thu, 15 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Bummer!!

xntpd is a older version of ntp and it does not provide support for the
bancomm IRIG-B card.

Ganesh

In article

> Hi,

> NTPD is in there on stock Solaris 2.6, as 'xntpd'.  Also, while the
> docs may seem to talk primarily about setting up a new reference
clock,
> that's only because there are so many ways to do that wrong.  Just
> create an /etc/inet/ntp.conf file and start up xntpd.  A simple one,
> creating a secondary server, with the multicast client turned off,
> might read like:

> enable monitor
> driftfile /var/ntp/ntp.drift
> server     w.x.y.z
> server  p.q.r.s

> logconfig  +syncall +sysall +peerall
> filegen   peerstats type day enable
> filegen   loopstats type day enable

> The last 3 lines are just about logging and can be omitted if you
don't
> wnat history of how you did.  All of this is in the man pages under
> xntpd
> ntpdate

> Good luck,
> Chris Raymond

> On Fri, 25 Jun 1999, Pat Nolan

> <SNIP>

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Timer drift on Solaris 2.6

Post by Mitch Appleb » Tue, 31 Aug 1999 04:00:00

How do I setup the drift file?  We seem to fast by 8 seconds when using the
internet timeservers.

Using Redhat 5.2 (Linux)

Mitch Appleby
IS Admin
Dubuque Stamping & Mfg

Timer drift on Solaris 2.6

Post by joseph lan » Tue, 31 Aug 1999 04:00:00

> How do I setup the drift file?  We seem to fast by 8 seconds when using the
> internet timeservers.

> Using Redhat 5.2 (Linux)

> Mitch Appleby
> IS Admin
> Dubuque Stamping & Mfg

add "driftfile /etc/ntp.drift" to your ntp.conf this will allow ntp to save
drift data and will speed up restarting.
BTW the file can be anywhere ntp has write permission and can have any name
the example is what I use.

joe lang