Backup script for Solaris 2.5

Post by Renee Robinso » Wed, 14 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Anyone written a script that will automatically backup (fsdump in single user mode,
not TAR) all filesystems on a Sun SPARC Solaris 2.5 server?

On a side note, how can I get fsdump to backup > 1 filesystem to 1 tape? I've only
been able to get fsdump to backup 1 filesytem at a time - and if I attempt to backup
more than 1, it overwrites the existing filesystems on tape.

Thanks!

Backup script for Solaris 2.5

Post by James P. Ega » Wed, 14 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Use the non-rewind tape name.

/dev/rmt/0n

> Anyone written a script that will automatically backup (fsdump in single user mode,
> not TAR) all filesystems on a Sun SPARC Solaris 2.5 server?

> On a side note, how can I get fsdump to backup > 1 filesystem to 1 tape? I've only
> been able to get fsdump to backup 1 filesytem at a time - and if I attempt to backup
> more than 1, it overwrites the existing filesystems on tape.

> Thanks!

/Jim/
--

6 Concourse Pkwy, Suite 1100| Tel: 770-677-1150
Atlanta, GA  30328          | Fax: 770-901-3122

Post by Bill Hudso » Thu, 15 Aug 1996 04:00:00

> Anyone written a script that will automatically backup (fsdump in single user mode,
> not TAR) all filesystems on a Sun SPARC Solaris 2.5 server?

> On a side note, how can I get fsdump to backup > 1 filesystem to 1 tape? I've only
> been able to get fsdump to backup 1 filesytem at a time - and if I attempt to backup
> more than 1, it overwrites the existing filesystems on tape.

> Thanks!

Can't help you on the backup script - we have a Perl script ufsdumps
file systems, but we do not drop into single user mode and unmount
eveything ( I know - you ARE supposed to! )

For the tape drive however, try adding an "n" to your tape
specification.  This is for "no rewind".  IE instead of /dev/rmt/0m try
/dev/rmt/0mn.

Bill

1. FS: Solaris 2.5 Desktop (CDE) and/or Solaris 2.5 Server Packages for x86 desktops

 Hi All,

  Just wanted to pass on some excellent deals on Solaris 2.5.1 software with
the WABI user interface for x86 machines. The WABI allows you to run many
Windows 3.1 applications on a UNIX box, giving you the best of both worlds.
Imagine, running MS OFFICE components like, MS Word for Windows, Excel,
Powerpoint, and interfacing with the functionality of UNIX at the same time.

For a limited time, John Cristy, at Executive Tools, Inc.,
is offering:

  Solaris 2.5.1 User Desktop package for $175.00
  Solaris 2.5.1 Application Server package for $395.00

Ref URL http://www.etools.com for full information and additional products.

They also have a student special (99.00 + shipping)(yes, you read that
right, Solaris 2.5.1 user desktop for $99.00).

Mention my name, Bob Fahey, and he will throw in the Java Workshop for
$85.00. Mention my name anyway, as he wants to know what the response is to
this.
If asked where you heard this, tell them not just the web, but the Newsgroup
you read it on.  Thanks.

The Executive Tools web site URL http://www.etools.com also has some
excellent links to other Solaris and Sun information pages.

 Executive Tools is not associated with this posting, so, if you have any

 replies, good or bad!

--
//signed//

URL http://www.3lefties.com/users/faheyb.html
Famous quote by daughter Elizabeth, "If I was them cows, I'd run away!"

2. NVIDIA-9.0-5 + kernel 2.4.0

3. Is Solstice Backup bundled with Solaris 2.5?

4. !!Location and Directory Directives!!

5. Backup solutions for SunOS 4.1.4 and Solaris 2.5 ?

6. when paste is not enough

7. Informix 7.2 cannot backup on Solaris 2.5

8. Local Mail with MH?

9. help: remote backup from SOLARIS 2.5 <=> sunos4.1.3:4mm-tape

10. Backup software for Solaris 2.5

11. solaris 2.5 complete image hardisk backup ?

12. Bootup script of Solaris 2.5

13. SUID flag on scripts in Solaris 2.5 BUG???