NIS v/s LDAP and LDAP compatible to pre-Solaris 8

NIS v/s LDAP and LDAP compatible to pre-Solaris 8

Post by Rive » Sun, 12 Jan 2003 00:44:48

Hello ALL,

I have been looking for documentation on the comparision of these two
naming service(NIS and LDAP). I haven't found much yet. So I am coming
here hoping to get some responses.

But I believe NIS/NIS+ is not going to be supported in Solaris in the
near future so I would like to go with LDAP. I read that LDAP does not
support pre-Solaris 8 clients. I can not find out what exactly this
means, except I read in the Blueprints book that the nsswitch.conf
file has a LDAP option added for Solaris 8.  I know nothing about
ldap, but know I need that option for it work on any version.

We currently use SUNs LDAP now. Before we implement this into
production we plan on creating a test environment, but I need to
determine if LDAP is compatible to pre-Solaris 8 for this purpose. If
its not, then we will need to go with NIS or NIS+.

Does anyone have any knowledge of any LDAP docs that would discuss its
compatibilities to earlier OS versions and compatibilities to NIS? Or
know that in fact it is compatible with all versions to use as a
naming service in place of NIS/+?

TIA!!

Rivers

NIS v/s LDAP and LDAP compatible to pre-Solaris 8

Post by Robert Gruene » Sun, 12 Jan 2003 02:53:44

Quote:

> Does anyone have any knowledge of any LDAP docs that would discuss
> its compatibilities to earlier OS versions and compatibilities to
> NIS? Or know that in fact it is compatible with all versions to use
> as a naming service in place of NIS/+?

Hello

Just have a look at www.padl.com where you can find some tools
to realize ldap with pre-sol8 machines.

Good luck

Robert

Post by Rich Tee » Sun, 12 Jan 2003 11:19:08

> > Does anyone have any knowledge of any LDAP docs that would discuss
> > its compatibilities to earlier OS versions and compatibilities to
> > NIS? Or know that in fact it is compatible with all versions to use
> > as a naming service in place of NIS/+?

You can run Sun's LDAP server in NIS compatibility mode.  I've not
tried it, I think that might be the answer to your problem.

--
Rich Teer

President,
Rite Online Inc.

Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

NIS v/s LDAP and LDAP compatible to pre-Solaris 8

Post by David Magd » Mon, 13 Jan 2003 01:14:59

[...]

Quote:> You can run Sun's LDAP server in NIS compatibility mode.  I've not
> tried it, I think that might be the answer to your problem.

There's also a commercial NIS/LDAP gateway at:

        http://www.padl.com/Products/NISLDAPGateway.html

An evaluation copy is available for download.

--
David Magda <dmagda at ee.ryerson.ca>

1. compiling PHP on Solaris with LDAP, but not SUN ldap

Hi,

trying to get PHP working with LDAP but to compile it the PHP doc says
must use Ldap libraries other than Sun's.  They mention specifically 3
types - University of Michigan  ldap-3.3 package,  Netscape Directory
SDK 3.0 or  OpenLDAP.

Does anyone know of Sun's are based enough on any of these for them to
work, and if not then would installing one of those mentioned mess up
anything on Solaris 9 since it seems to ship with it's own?

Thanks,

Tom

2. how to get gnome-pager in WindowMaker

3. solaris ldap client and AD ldap server

4. Sendmail Daemon

5. SUN LDAP, Netscape LDAP (SUN), OPENLDAP, which one?????

6. XFree86 4.1 at high resolution

7. LDAP over SSL using OpenLDAP/OpenSSL/Cyrus SASL with Netscape's LDAP server

8. most stable linux?

9. question on ldap/postfix/ease of use for end users regarding ldap

10. Compiling Apache-2.0.35 with LDAP modules (httpd-ldap)

11. LDAP, fnaddr, X.500 to LDAP issues

12. URIs/LDAP/REWRITE -> dispatching request depending on LDAP ATTRIBUTES

13. OpenLDAP or SUN ONE DS5.2 HOW-TO updated with sudo+LDAP and apache+LDAP info