problems with Xsun (Solaris 7 x86)

problems with Xsun (Solaris 7 x86)

Post by Greg Hers » Wed, 06 Jan 1999 04:00:00



I'm having intermittent but serious problems with Xsun. It is always
triggered by a browser (either HotJava or Netscape Communicator 4.5).
At some point while using a browser (like pointing to URL
docs.sun.com), suddenly display gets frozen, can't move a mouse,
can't use a keyboard. Do remote telnet, 'top' shows netscape or
hotjava sleeping, Xsun takes 98-99% of CPU. Tried to
'kill -HUP' , or 'kill' on Xsun pid, doesn't make any difference,
still shows 98-99% of CPU utilization. 'kill -9' breaks the remote
connection but still doesn't clear the screen,
I end up rebooting machine. Seems like a problem with Xsun. So far
doesn't happen with any other applications, only with browsers.

(just killing the sleeping browser doesn't make any difference,
Xsun still takes almost all CPU)

Solaris 7 x86, no patches, IBM ThinkPad 760ED, LCD display in XGA
1024x768 mode. Has been using Solaris 2.5.1 previously on the same
machine, don't recall anything similar.

Would appreciate if anyone can shed some light on what's going on.

Thanks,

--
Greg

 
 
 

problems with Xsun (Solaris 7 x86)

Post by Daniel Che » Wed, 06 Jan 1999 04:00:00


hehehe, You're a whole lot better off than I am. I pulled the Riva TNT
out and plugged in an ancient Matrox Millenium since it's supported. With
the millenium there's a X crash bug. I'm intermitently thrown back to the
login prompt. After 2 or 3 times, the whole display system crashes with
funny ascii characters on the screen forcing a reset. Anyone knows how to
fix this?

--
Daniel Chee (?_?j?G??)
University of Nebraska - Lincoln
Department of Computer Science
(402) 436-8933

 
 
 

problems with Xsun (Solaris 7 x86)

Post by Robert A. Lerc » Wed, 06 Jan 1999 04:00:00



>I'm having intermittent but serious problems with Xsun. It is always
>triggered by a browser (either HotJava or Netscape Communicator 4.5).
>At some point while using a browser (like pointing to URL
>docs.sun.com), suddenly display gets frozen, can't move a mouse,
>can't use a keyboard. Do remote telnet, 'top' shows netscape or
>hotjava sleeping, Xsun takes 98-99% of CPU...

>Solaris 7 x86, no patches, IBM ThinkPad 760ED, LCD display in XGA
>1024x768 mode. Has been using Solaris 2.5.1 previously on the same
>machine, don't recall anything similar.

The exact same symptom occurs on the IBM ThinkPad 765L, Solaris 2.6.
When I posted about this a few other folks agreed that they had
experienced it, too.  The 2.6 recommended patches don't help.

I have since installed XFree86 3.3.3, which works (3.3.2 did not -- it
came up but ran _very_ slowly, issuing "BitBlt timeout" messages all
the while).  Of course, the XFree86 server does not include Adobe
PostScript, and if I exit back to text mode and "startx" again the
mouse (Track Point) doesn't work the second time, but oh well.

Since Sun has decommitted support for laptops, I guess we're stuck.

 
 
 

problems with Xsun (Solaris 7 x86)

Post by Greg Hers » Thu, 07 Jan 1999 04:00:00





> > can't use a keyboard. Do remote telnet, 'top' shows netscape or
> > hotjava sleeping, Xsun takes 98-99% of CPU.  Tried to
> > 'kill -HUP' , or 'kill' on Xsun pid, doesn't make any difference,

> Oooh, that sounds like a bug.  Xsun should definitely respond to
> a kill -HUP.

Yes, neither 'kill -HUP' nor 'kill' made any difference.

Quote:

> This isn't a solution, but one thing you might try is doing an
> Alt-PrintScreen-P at the console; perhaps this will convince
> the X server to exit (or perhaps not).

Yes, I've tried that one, but seems like on my laptop it doesn't work
the way you think it should. Probably this combination is not
a univeral way to bring X-server down.

Quote:

> Another thought is to do a "truss -p" on the pid of the X server
> from a remote machine and see what the heck it's trying to do.

Done that one as well. 'truss -p <Xsun_pid>' did not produce
any output. Seems like Xsun is in some kind of a tight loop.

Quote:>   - Logan

Thanks for a feedback. Again, this is highly intermittent problem.
The last time it happened when I was typing in a new URL. It suddenly
got frozen. (not even when I was trying to access anything). But
I can't reproduce it on demand.

--
Greg

 
 
 

problems with Xsun (Solaris 7 x86)

Post by Greg Hers » Thu, 07 Jan 1999 04:00:00



> The exact same symptom occurs on the IBM ThinkPad 765L, Solaris 2.6.
> When I posted about this a few other folks agreed that they had
> experienced it, too.  The 2.6 recommended patches don't help.

> I have since installed XFree86 3.3.3, which works (3.3.2 did not -- it
> came up but ran _very_ slowly, issuing "BitBlt timeout" messages all
> the while).  Of course, the XFree86 server does not include Adobe
> PostScript, and if I exit back to text mode and "startx" again the
> mouse (Track Point) doesn't work the second time, but oh well.

> Since Sun has decommitted support for laptops, I guess we're stuck.

Funny,

just as you've posted this message, I was visiting XFree86 site ...

Any installation experiences you might share? I've never done it
before. Probably other Sol 7/x86 users would be interested in this
as well. I've never done XFree86 before. There is lots of information
on their site, I'm mostly interested in first hand experiences.

I'm especially interested whether it is possible to run with
LCD configured for XGA 1024x768 resolution.

Another question: if I dump both openwin and cde, and move say to
KDE, do I still care of Adobe Postscript?

Thanks,

--
Greg

 
 
 

problems with Xsun (Solaris 7 x86)

Post by Casper H.S. Dik - Network Security Engine » Thu, 07 Jan 1999 04:00:00


[[ PLEASE DON'T SEND ME EMAIL COPIES OF POSTINGS ]]


>I'm having intermittent but serious problems with Xsun. It is always
>triggered by a browser (either HotJava or Netscape Communicator 4.5).
>At some point while using a browser (like pointing to URL
>docs.sun.com), suddenly display gets frozen, can't move a mouse,
>can't use a keyboard. Do remote telnet, 'top' shows netscape or
>hotjava sleeping, Xsun takes 98-99% of CPU. Tried to
>'kill -HUP' , or 'kill' on Xsun pid, doesn't make any difference,
>still shows 98-99% of CPU utilization. 'kill -9' breaks the remote
>connection but still doesn't clear the screen,
>I end up rebooting machine. Seems like a problem with Xsun. So far
>doesn't happen with any other applications, only with browsers.

Kill -9 should clear it up but you need to restart Xsun before
the screen can be restored again.

Try "pstack" on Xsun and it can give you some idea where it loops.

(BTW, don't run pstack <pid-of-Xsun> in a window displayed by that Xserver;
it'll deadlock that terminal window/pstack/Xsun.)

Casper
--
Expressed in this posting are my opinions.  They are in no way related
to opinions held by my employer, Sun Microsystems.
Statements on Sun products included here are not gospel and may
be fiction rather than truth.

 
 
 

problems with Xsun (Solaris 7 x86)

Post by Aleksandar Milivojevi » Thu, 07 Jan 1999 04:00:00



> Bottom line was that 3.3.2 didn't support the same kind of connections
> that Sun's xlib wants to do, and that means I had to use localhost:0
> as my $DISPLAY instead of just :0, which was a big enough problem for
> me to decide not to use it.  Who knows -- there might be a feature in
> 3.3.3 that makes that not be a problem.

Setting DISPLAY to unix:0 will force programs to use old unix domain
socket connections (supported by both Xsun and XF86) instead of pipes
(supported only by Xsun).

--

                  Opinions expressed herein are my own.
================================ooooO=Ooooo==============================
  Real Users never know what they want, but they always know when your
                       program doesn't deliver it.

 
 
 

problems with Xsun (Solaris 7 x86)

Post by Greg Hers » Thu, 07 Jan 1999 04:00:00



Quote:> Kill -9 should clear it up but you need to restart Xsun before
> the screen can be restored again.

Casper,

it kills Xsun ok, but I don't see any way to restart it.

After  I kill it (by telnetting from another machine),
both keyboard and
mouse are still locked, the display doesn't get cleared. When I
telnet and restart Xsun (say by issuing /usr/openwin/bin/openwin),
something goes *really* wrong, I loose my session, no longer can
even ping the machine, had to do a power reset.

Quote:

> Try "pstack" on Xsun and it can give you some idea where it loops.

I've issued pstack a couple of times. Here is the output. Not being
closely familiar with internal workings of Xsun, I can only say that
'yes it loops indead' ;-)

# /usr/proc/bin/pstack 304
304:    /usr/openwin/bin/X :0 -auth /usr/ghersh/.xsun.ghersh:0
 df967d76 t94Segment (df851000, 822f9e0, 2, 82c5d80) + 176
 080895c1 ProcPolySegment (8227530) + 165
 080870b4 Dispatch () + 114
 08094f27 main     (4, 8047d04, 8047d18) + 473
 0806430c ???????? ()
# /usr/proc/bin/pstack 304
304:    /usr/openwin/bin/X :0 -auth /usr/ghersh/.xsun.ghersh:0
 df967d76 t94Segment (df851000, 822f9e0, 2, 82c5d80) + 176
 080895c1 ProcPolySegment (8227530) + 165
 080870b4 Dispatch () + 114
 08094f27 main     (4, 8047d04, 8047d18) + 473
 0806430c ???????? ()

Thanks,

--
Greg

 
 
 

problems with Xsun (Solaris 7 x86)

Post by Casper H.S. Dik - Network Security Engine » Fri, 08 Jan 1999 04:00:00


[[ PLEASE DON'T SEND ME EMAIL COPIES OF POSTINGS ]]


>it kills Xsun ok, but I don't see any way to restart it.

If you run dtlogin, it should stat automatically, otherwise
try running Xsun from teh comamnd line (remotely logged in):

        "Xsun :0"

this shoudl reset graphics and clear the screen.  ^C out of it and
you should be back to normal.

You should also be able to type blind at yoru shell prompt.

Quote:>After  I kill it (by telnetting from another machine),
>both keyboard and
>mouse are still locked, the display doesn't get cleared. When I
>telnet and restart Xsun (say by issuing /usr/openwin/bin/openwin),
>something goes *really* wrong, I loose my session, no longer can
>even ping the machine, had to do a power reset.

Ah, it's a much worse problem than I thought it was; perhaps the hardware
does get in an insane state.

Casper

--
Expressed in this posting are my opinions.  They are in no way related
to opinions held by my employer, Sun Microsystems.
Statements on Sun products included here are not gospel and may
be fiction rather than truth.

 
 
 

problems with Xsun (Solaris 7 x86)

Post by Greg Hers » Fri, 08 Jan 1999 04:00:00



> [[ PLEASE DON'T SEND ME EMAIL COPIES OF POSTINGS ]]


> >it kills Xsun ok, but I don't see any way to restart it.

> If you run dtlogin, it should stat automatically, otherwise
> try running Xsun from teh comamnd line (remotely logged in):

>         "Xsun :0"

> this shoudl reset graphics and clear the screen.  ^C out of it and
> you should be back to normal.

> You should also be able to type blind at yoru shell prompt.

> >After  I kill it (by telnetting from another machine),
> >both keyboard and
> >mouse are still locked, the display doesn't get cleared. When I
> >telnet and restart Xsun (say by issuing /usr/openwin/bin/openwin),
> >something goes *really* wrong, I loose my session, no longer can
> >even ping the machine, had to do a power reset.

> Ah, it's a much worse problem than I thought it was; perhaps the hardware
> does get in an insane state.

> Casper

Well, I guess I'm going to give XFree86 a try.

--
Greg

 
 
 

1. Get rid of CDE and Xsun on Solaris 2.6 X86,How to?

        Hi, all:
        I'm thinking of switching to XFree86 from bundled CDE and
        Sun's X implementation on Solaris 2.6 X86, and using xdm+some plain
        window manager combination to replace dtlogin+CDE.

        If someone have done it, i will be very appreciate of your
        informations/instructions..Or is there any Guides/FAQ tells how to
        do that?

        Thanks a lot !! :)

2. Need XDR library for Windows

3. Xsun problems since upgrading to Solaris 8

4. cpu utilization remain high

5. Solaris XSun driver problem

6. Linux withou floppy?

7. Solaris 8 remote Xsun display problems.

8. MAC-PB to PC serial connection

9. Evaluation pointers: x86-Solaris vs x86-NT vs SPARC-Solaris

10. Solaris x86 or not to Solaris x86?

11. Benchmarks x86 Solaris vs Linux and Solaris 2.6 x86 vs sparc

12. Solaris x86 should use HLT instruction / was: Re: solaris x86 7 as guest?

13. Solaris 8 x86 install problems / was: Re: Solaris as Guest OS possible?