Solaris/Win98 Networking

Post by George Mathia » Thu, 20 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Hello guru's,

I have installed Solaris8 on my PC successfully(I guess, since I didn't
have any problems running). The configuration is:

Gateway PC, 266 Pentium II, 6GB hard Disk,
192MB memory,
with 3Com Eathernet card, which is supported according to sun
documentaion.

And I am running Windows 98 on another machine, configuration:
Gateway, 933Mhz, Pentium III, 128RAM with enough disk space,
Linksys NC100v2 eathernet card.

I have connected both the machines using a cat5 network cable.

The Solaris machine says that 3COM interface is UP in RUNNING.

But I am unable to talk to Solaris machince from my 98 machine. Do I
need to do any other setup in order to acheive this? Has anyone done it?

Please let me know.

Thanks a lot
George

Solaris/Win98 Networking

Post by Daniel Winsor - HE » Thu, 20 Jul 2000 04:00:00

<snip>

Quote:>But I am unable to talk to Solaris machince from my 98 machine. Do I
>need to do any other setup in order to acheive this? Has anyone done it?

Please define "talk to."  e.g. Share files?  Ping each other?  etc.

Do you have an IP stack installed on your 98 machine?

---
Dan Winsor

Solaris/Win98 Networking

Post by Raf LaPiet » Thu, 20 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Quote:

>I have connected both the machines using a cat5 network cable.

You can't use a straight trhu network cable. You need a cross over or
"null-ethernet" cable

Solaris/Win98 Networking

Post by George Mathia » Thu, 20 Jul 2000 04:00:00

My knowledge in networking area is very limited.

cross-over, you mean a hub? OK, I can give a try.

What is a 'null-ethernet' cable?

Thanks for your response.
George

> >I have connected both the machines using a cat5 network cable.

> You can't use a straight trhu network cable. You need a cross over or
> "null-ethernet" cable

Solaris/Win98 Networking

Post by Martin Hepwort » Thu, 20 Jul 2000 04:00:00

George
I presume there's a hub somewhere in this equation - cat 5 can't
generally be connected from 1 machine to another without a
hur/router/switch in the middle.

when say you can't talk - do you mean ping/telnet/ftp???

Martin

> Hello guru's,

> I have installed Solaris8 on my PC successfully(I guess, since I didn't
> have any problems running). The configuration is:

> Gateway PC, 266 Pentium II, 6GB hard Disk,
> 192MB memory,
> with 3Com Eathernet card, which is supported according to sun
> documentaion.

> And I am running Windows 98 on another machine, configuration:
> Gateway, 933Mhz, Pentium III, 128RAM with enough disk space,
> Linksys NC100v2 eathernet card.

> I have connected both the machines using a cat5 network cable.

> The Solaris machine says that 3COM interface is UP in RUNNING.

> But I am unable to talk to Solaris machince from my 98 machine. Do I
> need to do any other setup in order to acheive this? Has anyone done it?

> Please let me know.

> Thanks a lot
> George

Solaris/Win98 Networking

Post by Tom » Fri, 21 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Be carefull with that Linksys card. I bought one not realizing that only the
100mbps speed was supported by Sun. I was running a 10mbps network.

Quote:> Hello guru's,

> I have installed Solaris8 on my PC successfully(I guess, since I didn't
> have any problems running). The configuration is:

> Gateway PC, 266 Pentium II, 6GB hard Disk,
> 192MB memory,
> with 3Com Eathernet card, which is supported according to sun
> documentaion.

> And I am running Windows 98 on another machine, configuration:
> Gateway, 933Mhz, Pentium III, 128RAM with enough disk space,
> Linksys NC100v2 eathernet card.

> I have connected both the machines using a cat5 network cable.

> The Solaris machine says that 3COM interface is UP in RUNNING.

> But I am unable to talk to Solaris machince from my 98 machine. Do I
> need to do any other setup in order to acheive this? Has anyone done it?

> Please let me know.

> Thanks a lot
> George

Solaris/Win98 Networking

Post by George Mathia » Fri, 21 Jul 2000 04:00:00

I got it working folks. I appreciate all your replies from all of you. That
was very very helpful.

Firstly, I aplogise for not giving you full details. I missed one thing.
When I bought a machine, it already had one 'Intel home networking card' in
it, which I didn't know. It was creating the conflict. I removed that card.

Then, as most of you people suggested, I connected both the machines using a
hub.
Then, I added SPX and Netbeios protocols to my windows98 network
configuration setttings.
And, finally I changed the IP address of my Solaris machine to be similar to
that of 98.
So my 98's IP is 169.254.196.87 and I changed my solaris' to be
169.254.196.88.

That's all it did the trick.

And again, I thank you all a tonn.
(I was so happy that I could not even sleep last night :-) )

Take care and bye.
George Mathias

> Hello guru's,

> I have installed Solaris8 on my PC successfully(I guess, since I didn't
> have any problems running). The configuration is:

> Gateway PC, 266 Pentium II, 6GB hard Disk,
> 192MB memory,
> with 3Com Eathernet card, which is supported according to sun
> documentaion.

> And I am running Windows 98 on another machine, configuration:
> Gateway, 933Mhz, Pentium III, 128RAM with enough disk space,
> Linksys NC100v2 eathernet card.

> I have connected both the machines using a cat5 network cable.

> The Solaris machine says that 3COM interface is UP in RUNNING.

> But I am unable to talk to Solaris machince from my 98 machine. Do I
> need to do any other setup in order to acheive this? Has anyone done it?

> Please let me know.

> Thanks a lot
> George

1. Slow Network Linux->Win98=Slow Win98->Linux=Fast

Here is my home/office setup:

Machine 1: SUSE 6.0 set up as a simple file server using Samba 2.x.
Machine 2: Win98
Connected via FastEthernet.

If I copy a directory (~300MB) from Win98 to Linux box via Samba takes about 6 minutes... if I go the other way, takes 96 minutes!

I have both hosts/ips pointing to each other in their respective hosts files so DNS should not be a problem.

I'm still new at this so any help would be appreciated.

- Mark

2. Prob with intermittent keyboard lockups in X (XFree86 3.0)

3. SAMBA - Win98 Machines and ICS through Win98 ok - no Windows network in linux

4. Trap and Time

5. networking solaris 7 and win98

6. Poweroff does some neat stuff, but it doesn't power off ...

7. Solaris networking with Win98/NT

8. Weird ARP behavior with DSL

9. Win98 can ping Linux, but Linux can't ping Win98 box

10. SOLUTION: Linux & Win98 ping each other (PnP issues on Win98)

11. Newbie Dual boot Linux & Win98, forgot to include Win98

12. Linux and Win98 in LAN, Win98 boxes can't see each other

13. installing Debian over win98 in dual boot system (win98 and win2k)