SUN PCi I + W2k + font problem

Post by Silvo Bozovica » Wed, 03 Nov 2004 18:01:35

I have used Solaris 8 for long time
and decided it's time to upgrade
Solaris to newer version.

I know that SunPCi 1.3 is not supported under
Solaris 9, but i tried to install anyway.

I have managed to successfully run
SUNPCi and install W2k-SP3 in virtual drive.

But after system boots W2k all fonts are missing
and only black squares are displayed, i think that
some fonts are missing or there may be problem with
locales.

It's true that i installed it using default
north american locales, i have also tried
to change it to LANG=C and still had problems.

Has anyone noticed same problems?

arch: Ultra 10 (sun4u)
OS: Solaris 9 8/03
SUN PCi software: SunPCi 1.3 Drivers
OBP:3.31

SUN PCi I + W2k + font problem

Post by Greg Menk » Wed, 03 Nov 2004 20:44:51

> I have used Solaris 8 for long time
> and decided it's time to upgrade
> Solaris to newer version.

> I know that SunPCi 1.3 is not supported under
> Solaris 9, but i tried to install anyway.

> I have managed to successfully run
> SUNPCi and install W2k-SP3 in virtual drive.

> But after system boots W2k all fonts are missing
> and only black squares are displayed, i think that
> some fonts are missing or there may be problem with
> locales.

> It's true that i installed it using default
> north american locales, i have also tried
> to change it to LANG=C and still had problems.

> Has anyone noticed same problems?

> arch: Ultra 10 (sun4u)
> OS: Solaris 9 8/03
> SUN PCi software: SunPCi 1.3 Drivers
> OBP:3.31

Try adding

[Display]
OldText

to your SunPCI.ini.  SunPCI 1 (or is it 2) apparently tries to use
some font server thing by default, which doesn't work and everything
breaks.  This "fix" is obscurely documented.

Gregm