ethernet address vs. MAC address

Post by Dave Abne » Fri, 13 Aug 1999 04:00:00

It is just symantics.  8:0:20:ef::c0:ab is either an ethernet address or a
MAC address,
your choice.  It is a 48 bit binary address expressed in hexidecimal unique
to the specific hardware network interface.  On a Sparc system the address
is stored in the NVRAM.  Traditionally Sun people call it an ethernet
address.  MAC address is more like PC talk.  But both terms refer to the
same thing.

Post by Barry Margoli » Sat, 14 Aug 1999 04:00:00

>Can someone point out the difference(s) between the ethernet address and
>the MAC address? I've had people swear they're different things, but
>have also had a Sun instructor say they're the same. I know what a MAC
>address is, so if an ethernet address isn't the same thing, what is it?

"MAC address" is just a more general term that applies across a wide
variety of media types.  If you're on a token ring network, your MAC
address is your token ring address.  If you're on a FDDI network your MAC
address is your FDDI address.  And so on.

Post by Len Philp » Sun, 15 Aug 1999 04:00:00

>>>Can someone point out the difference(s) between the ethernet address and
>>>the MAC address? I've had people swear they're different things, but
>>>have also had a Sun instructor say they're the same. I know what a MAC
>>>address is, so if an ethernet address isn't the same thing, what is it?

>>"MAC address" is just a more general term that applies across a wide
>>variety of media types.  If you're on a token ring network, your MAC
>>address is your token ring address.  If you're on a FDDI network your MAC
>>address is your FDDI address.  And so on.

Thanks - That's what I always thought, but I've had people here and
there swear they're two different things.