Recommendations for terminal emulation / editor ?

Recommendations for terminal emulation / editor ?

Post by Nele Pauls » Tue, 17 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

I have a group of people which don't know Solaris  (UNIX) at all.
They have their NT-machines and have to do some simple tasks like
start a batch, edit a crontab file a.s.o on the Solaris machine.

Actually the have only this ugly standard NT-Telnet.
What  terminal emulation and editor (I'm sure they won't like vi )
would you recommend them.

TIA

Nele

Recommendations for terminal emulation / editor ?

Post by Chris Drelic » Tue, 17 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Pico, ee, or one of Lucent's
offerings(http://www.lucent.com/ssg/html/edit-one.html) are probably best as
editors.  Pico and ee are free, while Lucent's is $495, though it comes with
other utilities as well as source(non-redistributable without paying a
sublicense fee of $1000.)  For telnet on NT I would reccomend either
Humminbird Exceed(www.hummingbird.com) or Persoft's
Smartterm(www.persoft.com).  For something cheaper, CRT will probably do.
Chris

Post by Stephen Chadfiel » Wed, 18 Aug 1999 04:00:00

> Hi,

> I have a group of people which don't know Solaris  (UNIX) at all.
> They have their NT-machines and have to do some simple tasks like
> start a batch, edit a crontab file a.s.o on the Solaris machine.

> Actually the have only this ugly standard NT-Telnet.
> What  terminal emulation and editor (I'm sure they won't like vi )
> would you recommend them.

I use CRT as a terminal emulator in Windows. Works well with Solaris
and VMS sessions. One of these days I will work out how to get the
function keys set up...

Text editor choice is a religeous issue. I prefer Emacs.

--
Stephen Chadfield

Recommendations for terminal emulation / editor ?

Post by Julian Jacob » Wed, 18 Aug 1999 04:00:00

I use CRT as well.
Use a load of shortcuts that setup for the different servers and just
use the default connection.
These allows me to use the same function keys across all servers.

function keys are easy to setup and use;
From the Options menu select Session Preferences.
In the popup window select the F Keys tab
Select the F key you want to program and enter the command in the
required line (F1, Alt F1 etc)
use \r if you want to run the command straight away :^))

JulianJ

--

Recommendations for terminal emulation / editor ?

Post by ~Faceplan » Thu, 19 Aug 1999 04:00:00

TeraTerm Pro is free and works quite well for telnet as well as serial
connections to routers, etc...  I wouldn't know what editor to recommend
since I use 'vi' always.

~Faceplant

>Hi,

>I have a group of people which don't know Solaris  (UNIX) at all.
>They have their NT-machines and have to do some simple tasks like
>start a batch, edit a crontab file a.s.o on the Solaris machine.

>Actually the have only this ugly standard NT-Telnet.
>What  terminal emulation and editor (I'm sure they won't like vi )
>would you recommend them.

1. Recommendations for vt100 terminal emulation software for Win9x/NT

I am re-evaluating our vt100 terminal emulation software for Win9x/NT client
accessing our AIX/UNIX host.  I have been using WRQ's Reflection for
UNIX/DEC v7.0, which works great, but is really expensive ($230) and feature
intensive (FTP client, scripting language, etc.) for what most users needs
are.  What other software packages are people using?  Please provide
estimated cost, URL, etc. if possible.  Based on our setup, we are typically
not able to get volume purchasing agreements, so I am stuck buying single
user licenses each time.  I would welcome any freeware/shareware options,
and I am also open to trying other vt emulation types.

TIA, Matt

2. Does glib work with AdLib?

3. terminal emulation package TI 924 or TI931 VDT terminal

4. Setting the first bit

5. Tape backup s/w-emulation, recommendations?

6. logname can't read utmp file

7. Need your recommendation for a full-featured text editor

8. Adaptec 29160 & Linux, what's the true story?

9. Any recommendation for test editor?

10. Text editor recommendations

11. Editor recommendations

12. request text editor recommendation