HELP: Serial Port Problems on x86.

Post by Scott A. Woo » Fri, 10 Nov 1995 04:00:00

I am having a problem that I believe is with the serial port
and PPP.  Occasionally, without any regularity or pattern,
PPP will not be able to dial out, saying DEVICE LOCKED.
The only thing that uses the port is PPP.  When everything
is fine, only the CTS light is lit up on the modem. When
something is wrong, the CTS and DTR lights are lit up.

Has anyone seen this problem before?

Thanks,

...saw

--
Scott A. Woods
Plexar Associates, Inc.  (216)248-7650

    WWW:  http://junior.apk.net/~swoods

Post by Celeste Stoke » Tue, 14 Nov 1995 04:00:00

: I am having a problem that I believe is with the serial port
: and PPP.  Occasionally, without any regularity or pattern,
: PPP will not be able to dial out, saying DEVICE LOCKED.
: The only thing that uses the port is PPP.  When everything
: is fine, only the CTS light is lit up on the modem. When
: something is wrong, the CTS and DTR lights are lit up.

: Has anyone seen this problem before?

If DTR is lit, then either the machine or the modem is forcing it high. The
modem should NOT control DTR, so you should check the modem settings to
make sure it doesn't think it should control DTR.

If the machine is forcing DTR high, then it is trying to spawn a login on
that port, which will give you "all ports busy" or "device locked".

When DTR is lit at the "wrong" time, do "ps -edalf" to see what has
attached to that port.

Also do "pmadm -l" and look at your port monitor for that port. If you have
it configured for dial-out only, you should not see a port monitor for the
port. If it's dial-out only and you see one, remove it with "pmadm -r".

If it's a bidirectional-use port, your port monitor should look something
like:
PMTAG          PMTYPE         SVCTAG         FLGS ID       <PMSPECIFIC>
zsmon          ttymon         ttya           u    root     /dev/term/a b -
/usr/bin/login - contty5H ldterm,ttcompat Always be nice to your sysadm.
You may now login.  - - n  #dial in/out on serial port

.Celeste Stokely, Unix System Administration Consultant, Stokely Consulting

Voice Line:     415-967-6898 / FAX: 415-967-0160
USMAIL Address: Stokely Consulting/211 Thompson Square/Mountain View CA 94043
  Celeste's Tutorials on Solaris 2.x/SunOS 4.1.3+ Modems & Terminals
     are available via the Web at http://www.stokely.com/stokely
        or via ftp at ftp.batnet.com:/pub/wombats/stokely/ftp
    Check out the Web page for lots of Unix Serial Port Resources!