HELP - no mail for any new users

Post by Bruce Waleni » Wed, 20 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Hello all,

I have a particularly nagging problem.  I have already reinstalled 2.5
in trying to fix this problem.  Any new user I create using the
Admintool cannot receive mail.  The root user can send and receive.
But any other user can only send.

This is all on the same machine.  If I log in as root and send a
message to user Bruce, the system says, "Bruce - unknown user".  Yet I
can easily "su" over to Bruce and successfully send mail to root.  The
mail even arrives From: Bruce.  Any other user I have created all
suffer from the same problem.

I have added an HPUX machine (mail works fine on that machine) to my
hosts table as the mailhost.  I have copied the main.cf over the
sendmail.cf as instructed.  Still, no mail.  Every user can mail to
root, and every user root tries to send to returns an "unknown user"
error message.

Can anybody help me with this?

Thanks in advance.........BW

HELP - no mail for any new users

Post by eli » Wed, 20 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> I have a particularly nagging problem.  I have already reinstalled 2.5
> in trying to fix this problem.  Any new user I create using the
> Admintool cannot receive mail.  The root user can send and receive.
> But any other user can only send.

> This is all on the same machine.  If I log in as root and send a
> message to user Bruce, the system says, "Bruce - unknown user".  Yet I
> can easily "su" over to Bruce and successfully send mail to root.  The
> mail even arrives From: Bruce.  Any other user I have created all
> suffer from the same problem.

> I have added an HPUX machine (mail works fine on that machine) to my
> hosts table as the mailhost.  I have copied the main.cf over the
> sendmail.cf as instructed.  Still, no mail.  Every user can mail to
> root, and every user root tries to send to returns an "unknown user"
> error message.

> Can anybody help me with this?

sounds like they don't have a mailbox in /var/mail ...you'll have to
crete
one for them...and never use admintool...so useless its sad....

HELP - no mail for any new users

Post by brian moo » Thu, 21 Nov 1996 04:00:00

No, the problem is that you can NOT have a user named "Bruce".  He can
be named "bruce".

Jeeze.... the net is dying.

--
Brian Moore                      The opinions expressed above are my own, not
Sysadmin, C/Perl Hacker          necesarily my employers'.

Post by Bruce Waleni » Thu, 21 Nov 1996 04:00:00

>No, the problem is that you can NOT have a user named "Bruce".  He can
>be named "bruce".
>Jeeze.... the net is dying.

Thank you.  You were correct.  All users are now lowercase.  In
retrospect, why is there this limitation?  The users seemed to have
suffered no other ill-effects from being named in ProperCase.  They
had complete functionality with the exception of mail.

.............BW

PS.  The net is not dying.  Through the net, I was able to obtain my
answer.  Neither Sun nor a Sun certified instructor came up with your
answer.  The future is rosy.

Post by Gerard Trom » Fri, 22 Nov 1996 04:00:00

> >No, the problem is that you can NOT have a user named "Bruce".  He can
> >be named "bruce".

> >Jeeze.... the net is dying.

> Thank you.  You were correct.  All users are now lowercase.  In
> retrospect, why is there this limitation?  The users seemed to have

              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Due to sendmail's uppercase to lowercase mapping -- same limitation
applies to aliases ( man aliases (4)), i.e. the mail is looking for user
_bruce_ not _Bruce_.

Quote:> suffered no other ill-effects from being named in ProperCase.  They

--
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
Gerard Tromp, Ph.D.

1. MAILING-LIST: new Cyclades Users mailing list

2. aiff to au

3. Why Does Mail Break after adding a new Mail user ?

4. CUPS-webinterface: wrong links?

5. New - DGII-USERS -> DIGI-USERS mailing list.

6. f90 and 103612-06; busts stdout.

7. New mail or no new mail

8. Command problem: ls -l

9. defense SPAM for Mail server ,Web mail for user ,Help me

10. Help! mail back unknown-user mails

11. HELP NEW USER NEW TO UNIX EVEN

12. Uanble to boot with LINUX boot disk - new user - help help help, PLEASE !!

13. New linux user needs help with new kernel