Diskless client can't start openwin?

Post by Jess » Mon, 24 Oct 1994 06:07:35

I use host manager to set up a Solaris 2.3 diskless client. When I try
to start openwin on the the client, I receive

        Binding Unix socket: Invalid argument
        Fatal server error: cannot establish unix listening socket

OpenWindow works fine with standalone (boot from a local disk) setup.
What might be the problem? Thanks.

--Jesse

Post by Casper H.S. D » Mon, 24 Oct 1994 21:07:59

>I use host manager to set up a Solaris 2.3 diskless client. When I try
>to start openwin on the the client, I receive
>    Binding Unix socket: Invalid argument
>    Fatal server error: cannot establish unix listening socket
>OpenWindow works fine with standalone (boot from a local disk) setup.
>What might be the problem? Thanks.

The problem is that the root directories of your diskless machines
have not been patched with 101318-54 ot later, but your /usr filesystems
have.  (See the 101318-54 readme for details.)

Casper

1. Diskless client doesn't start kdm

Hello

The pc which acts as server for the DC uses kdm as login manager, both have
the following lines in /etc/sysconfig/displaymanager:

# Here you can set the default Display manager (kdm/xdm/gdm/wdm/console).
#
DISPLAYMANAGER="kdm"

#
# Allow remote access to your display manager (kdm only for now)
#
DISPLAYMANAGER_REMOTE_ACCESS="yes"

#
# let the displaymanager start a local Xserver
# set to "no" for remote-access only
#
DISPLAYMANAGER_STARTS_XSERVER="yes"

but when I give the command "X -broadcast" on the DC the xdm login manager
starts up, but I would like to have kdm as login manager on the DC

What more needs to be done to get the kdm login manager on the DC.

Thanks in advance

best regards,

Roel Koelewijn
Netherlands

2. How to configure ODT 3 as a BOOTP client

3. newbie: which diskless(hd) distro for firewall w/wifi 'client' ??

4. Anonymous FTP and Linux

5. Can't start openwin, can't find PEX font?

6. Trouble making oleo-1.4 on ultrix ...

7. Help! Can't start openwin on diskless client!

8. I want to know the info of C program.

9. My diskless client won't boot

10. diskless client can't find root

11. can't get openwin to run openwin-init

12. Diskless clients won't boot off correct server

13. Can't setup diskless client under Solaris - inconsistent media