Limits on filesystem size/physical volume size under Sol 8?

Limits on filesystem size/physical volume size under Sol 8?

Post by Steve Costara » Thu, 16 May 2002 08:25:23

I've been using Solaris & Linux (among many other unixes) for a while
however nothing that has required anything
like I'm doing now.  Recently I have a need to create a single filesystem in
the multi-terabyte range.  This originally
started under a Linux system however I quickly ran into a problem that it
can not handle filesystems larger than 1TB.

I am using external Promise UltraTrak 100TX8 raid towers SCSI interface,
looks like a large 670GB scsi disk to the
OS/HBA.

I am going to have several of these that I will need to use
Disksuite/Veritas whatever to stripe together into a single
filesystem approx 2TB in size (4 units).

What I'm wondering is:

1) Is there any limit that anyone knows of under solaris to a filesystem
size?
2) Any limit for a physical disk size?
3) Any limits in place for Disksuite to handle large disks or large
filesystems?

Any info or pointers are welcome.

Post by Dave Uhrin » Thu, 16 May 2002 09:04:22

> I am using external Promise UltraTrak 100TX8 raid towers SCSI
> interface, looks like a large 670GB scsi disk to the
> OS/HBA.
> Any info or pointers are welcome.

Where are you going to find the Solaris drivers for that Promise
controller?

Post by Darren Dunha » Thu, 16 May 2002 14:12:42

> I've been using Solaris & Linux (among many other unixes) for a while
> however nothing that has required anything
> like I'm doing now.  Recently I have a need to create a single filesystem in
> the multi-terabyte range.  This originally
> started under a Linux system however I quickly ran into a problem that it
> can not handle filesystems larger than 1TB.

UFS and VxFS won't either.  I've heard reports that SAM-FS can, but I
don't know if VxVM/SDS have 1TB limits on the raw volumes, either.

Quote:> 1) Is there any limit that anyone knows of under solaris to a filesystem
> size?
> 2) Any limit for a physical disk size?
> 3) Any limits in place for Disksuite to handle large disks or large
> filesystems?

I don't know strict limits for any of the above, but many bits are
probably limited to 1TB.

Good luck.

Post by Anton Ran » Fri, 17 May 2002 00:26:01

> > Recently I have a need to create a single filesystem in
> > the multi-terabyte range.

> UFS and VxFS won't either.  I've heard reports that SAM-FS can, but I
> don't know if VxVM/SDS have 1TB limits on the raw volumes, either.

SAM-FS and/or QFS can work with file systems up to 252 TB.

Quote:> > 1) Is there any limit that anyone knows of under solaris to a filesystem
> > size?

UFS - 1 TB
VxFS - 1 TB (I think)
QFS, SAMFS - 252 TB (the file system can use multiple volumes)

Quote:> > 2) Any limit for a physical disk size?

Currently 1 TB.

Quote:> > 3) Any limits in place for Disksuite to handle large disks or large
> > filesystems?

Currently 1 TB per disk and 1 TB per volume.

-- Anton

1. size(/proc/kcore) != size (physical memory) in linux 2.4.20

I have 1GB physical memory on my system. All I want to get for my
application is - how much physical memory is available for the app to
grow. Although memTotal in /proc/info should give me what I want, I am
surprised to see a variation in the behaviour of two linux kernels -
linux 2.2.19 and linux 2.4.20:

With kernel 2.4.20: (compiled with CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G=y)
ls -l /proc/kcore shows about 920 MB, but /proc/meminfo has a total
mem close to 1010 MB. But size of /proc/kcore has always been slightly
greater than memTotal in /proc/meminfo when the total physical memory
was 256/512/768 MB.
Also note that HighTotal and HighFree in /proc/meminfo show a non-zero
amount of memory. (But with CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G not set, HighTotal and
HighFree are 0 and /proc/kcore is still about 920 MB - the expected
behaviour I guess).

With kernel 2.2.19:
size of /proc/kcore is always slightly greater than memTotal in
/proc/meminfo. So even if the total memory is 1GB, size of /proc/kcore
is about 1GB. Note that there is no such thing as HighTotal and
HighFree now in /proc/meminfo.

Is this the expected change in behaviour with the 2.4 kernel? Or is
this a bug in the 2.4 kernel? Does anyone know of a patch that fixes
this?

Since /proc/kcore is supposed to be as big as the physical memory+page
size, the behaviour with 2.2.19 kernel seems to be correct to me.

2. ps: no controlling terminal when running shell script from cron

3. Same amount of physical disk, two different sized volumes?

4. "Fake CDE?" I ,cant find it again

5. Does Sol 7 have 2 gig file size limit?

6. How do I modify kernel "code" segment at run time?

7. Largest file size and partition size limits on Solaris 2.X?

8. Kernel Panic - HELP!!!!!!

9. Fat32 volume size limit?

10. Veritas Volume Size Limit???

11. Partition size - ext2 filesystem size.

12. How to define size limits for directories, without them beeing filesystems

13. maximum filesystem size limit