Need Help Configuring NIC on Solaris7 for Intel

Need Help Configuring NIC on Solaris7 for Intel

Post by MLCol » Tue, 14 Nov 2000 04:00:00



I've been using Solaris7 in a stand-alone configuration on my PC for the
last couple of months, but now would like to
configure the NIC so I can migrate completely to UNIX.

I have been reading some of the NIC configuration sheets for connecting
to DHCP (yanick, stokely, and rite) and have
run into the following:

    1.  Win 95/98 indicates I have an  AMD PCNET  nic.
            A. docs.sun.com  says that it is an Allied Telesyn AT-1500
nic
            B. Re-ran Configuration Assistant and selected Specific
Scan:
                1) AMD PCnet-ISA 79C960/PC-net-32
                2) PCI - AMD79C970 PC Ethernet.

    2.  Following the configuration sheets:
            A.  Set up following files in /etc directory:
                    1)  dhcp.amd0
                    2)  hostname.amd0
                    3)  defaultrouter
                    4)  notrouter
                    5)  resolv.conf
                    6)  default/dhcp
                  I'm assuming that the interface name is amd0

            B.  Did not have the hostname to put into /etc/default/dhcp
file, so copied a script from Riley into
                  init.d/set_hostname:
                    1)  #!/sbin/sh
                         HOSTNAME=`cat /etc/nodename`
                         echo "Setting hostname to $HOSTNAME...   \c"
                         uname -S $HOSTNAME
                         echo "Done"
                    2) Tried to set up a symbolic link in root and
system responded with:
                            /etc/init.d/set_hostname: cannot execute

    3.    During system re-boot, noted the following:
                A.  DHCP starting on primary interface amd0
                B.  ifconfig: no such interface such as amd0

    4.   Can't get the web browser to connect ot any web site.
Indicated "host unknown".

What have I done wrong and/or what should I do next?

Any assistance would be greatly appreicated!

regards -- mlcole

 
 
 

Need Help Configuring NIC on Solaris7 for Intel

Post by Logan Sh » Tue, 14 Nov 2000 04:00:00




>    1.  Win 95/98 indicates I have an  AMD PCNET  nic.
>            A. docs.sun.com  says that it is an Allied Telesyn AT-1500
>nic
>            B. Re-ran Configuration Assistant and selected Specific
>Scan:
>                1) AMD PCnet-ISA 79C960/PC-net-32
>                2) PCI - AMD79C970 PC Ethernet.

>    2.  Following the configuration sheets:
>            A.  Set up following files in /etc directory:
>                    1)  dhcp.amd0
>                    2)  hostname.amd0
>                    3)  defaultrouter

You don't need to set up a defaultrouter file.  This will be
set up for you automatically if you're using DHCP.

Quote:>                    4)  notrouter

You also don't need to set up an /etc/notrouter file, unless you have
two interfaces (and even then you may not need to set it up).

Quote:>                    5)  resolv.conf

You may also need to set up /etc/nsswitch.conf so that DNS is one of
the name services used for hostnames.  "man nsswitch.conf" for more
info.

Quote:>                    6)  default/dhcp

This is used for the DHCP server software.  You don't need to set it
up for client software.

Quote:>                  I'm assuming that the interface name is amd0

Actually, it's not.  Instead, it should be pcn0:

  $ apropos pcnet | grep -i ethernet
  pcn             pcn (7d)        - AMD PCnet Ethernet controller device driver
  $

You can do a "prtconf -D | grep 'driver name'" to see if there is a pcn
device listed on your system.

Quote:>            B.  Did not have the hostname to put into /etc/default/dhcp
>file, so copied a script from Riley into
>                  init.d/set_hostname:
>                    1)  #!/sbin/sh
>                         HOSTNAME=`cat /etc/nodename`
>                         echo "Setting hostname to $HOSTNAME...   \c"
>                         uname -S $HOSTNAME
>                         echo "Done"

I suppose you could do this, although personally I think it's better to
edit /etc/init.d/network and change the behavior there.  To do that,
you change the line that says this:

        hostname="unknown"

to this:

        hostname="`shcat /etc/nodename 2>/dev/null`"
        if [ -z "$hostname" ]
        then
                hostname="unknown"
        fi

Quote:>                    2) Tried to set up a symbolic link in root and
>system responded with:
>                            /etc/init.d/set_hostname: cannot execute

If you got this message, I'd guess that your syntax for the "ln"
command was probably not quite right.  You probably would want to
do something like this:

        cd /etc/rc2.d
        ln -s ../init.d/set_hostname S99set_hostname

Hope that helps.

  - Logan