Q: How to read 3.5'' floppies without floppy drive ?

Q: How to read 3.5'' floppies without floppy drive ?

Post by tobi.. » Sat, 21 Jan 1995 19:04:17

Hello,

I have small problem:

we have SS20, Solaris 2.3 and CD-ROM drive connected to it.
We have Mathematica for Solaris too - distribution on 3.5''
floppies.
How can we install it ? We just need to copy file from 3.5''
to Solaris disk. But how ? We have only one SUN system (one
U**X system) and VAX/AXP OpenVMS.
Of course we have PC's too.

Is there utility for PC to read Solaris floppies ?
Or another solution ?

p.s. if it possible please send a copy of answer by email

Post by Wilfried Po » Thu, 26 Jan 1995 06:33:55

>Hello,

>I have small problem:

>we have SS20, Solaris 2.3 and CD-ROM drive connected to it.
>We have Mathematica for Solaris too - distribution on 3.5''
>floppies.
>How can we install it ? We just need to copy file from 3.5''
>to Solaris disk. But how ? We have only one SUN system (one
>U**X system) and VAX/AXP OpenVMS.
>Of course we have PC's too.

>Is there utility for PC to read Solaris floppies ?
>Or another solution ?

>p.s. if it possible please send a copy of answer by email

Use vgacopy to make a binary image of the disk. It is possible to
handle this image like a "tar" file or something like this.
shareware:
EDV-Beratung Thomas Moenkemeier,
Alte Amalienstrasse 32
D-26135 Oldenburg
Germany
Telefon +49-(0)441-26673

Q: How to read 3.5'' floppies without floppy drive ?

Post by Mike Garc » Sat, 11 Feb 1995 05:36:08

Does anyone have a list of the recomended patches for Sol 2.4?
Thanks in advance.
Mikey

1. Can't boot Linux via 3.5 floppy HELP

I'm attempting to boot Linux with my 3.5 inch floppy configured as my
A: drive.  I get " LI " printed on the screen and then the PC locks up.

I am using Slackware and have taken the following steps:
  1. GZIP -d BARE.GZ    decompress BARE
  2. GZIP -d COLR144.GZ  decompress COLR144.GZ
  3  RAWRITE (BARE  A:)   copy BARE to the boot disk
  4. RAWRITE (COLOR144 A:)  copy COLOR144 to the root disk

I have tried 2 separate PC's  an i486sx, 8meg ram, 170meg IDE drive
the other: i486dx2-66, 8meg ram, 1gb scsi drive.
both give the same result.

2. Microvitec 1438 Monitor setup

3. Reading a 3.5" floppy on a Sun

4. Mixed UTP/BNC network problems