calendar manager problem

Post by Beichang Wa » Thu, 02 Sep 1993 01:32:18

My system is running solaris_2.2 and NIS+. The calendar manager does
not seem to be working properly on my system.
When running cm, first a popup window appears and says "Error

window, the calendar manager icon appears.  But the calendar manager
window displays no name in header. I have followed the trubleshooting
steps listed in the answerbook, but still can not let the calendar
manager to work properly.
The answerbook says first to check rpc.cmsd, if it is running, calendar
manager will work. But on my system rpc.cmsd is running, calendar
manager dose not work. Is there any other point I need to check?

thanks in advance,

calendar manager problem

Post by Kirk Reinhol » Thu, 02 Sep 1993 02:25:45

The problem is that 2.2 calendar manager does not create
/var/spool/calendar/callog.<user>. Put the following in under your
user name, set the permissions to 640 owner=<user> group=<daemon>.
I'm not sure if you need the (access exec ...) rule. Restart rpc.cmsd,
and you're up.

cat << EOF > /var/spool/calendar/callog.bwang
Version: 1
**** start of log on Sat Aug 28 04:01:13 1993 ****

EOF

--

calendar manager problem

Post by Charles Hedri » Thu, 02 Sep 1993 09:51:03

>When running cm, first a popup window appears and says "Error

>window, the calendar manager icon appears.  But the calendar manager
>window displays no name in header.

We managed to get it to work.  We had to put files before dns in
/etc/nsswitch.conf, and reverse the name and nickname for the local
host in /etc/hosts.  The latter may be due to the fact that we set our
hostname to be foo.rutgers.edu rather than just foo.  There's
got to be some pretty sleasy coding in cm somewhere.

calendar manager problem

Post by Mike Jon » Fri, 03 Sep 1993 00:18:27

On a local system here we noticed that /var was getting full. A brief
investigation showed that /var/adm/wtmpx was taking up 9 MB! We hoped
to get rid of it by turning off accounting and rm'ing it, but it came
back. Anybody know what it is or how to make it stay gone?

Some people have the impression that the original UNIX work was a bootleg
project, a "skunk works." This is not so.  Research workers are supposed to
discover or invent new things.... Our intent was to create a pleasant
computing environment for ourselves, and our hope was that others liked it.
        - Dennis M. Ritchie, 1983 Turing Award Lecture

calendar manager problem

Post by Tom Busk » Sat, 04 Sep 1993 02:28:25

|> On a local system here we noticed that /var was getting full. A brief
|> investigation showed that /var/adm/wtmpx was taking up 9 MB! We hoped
|> to get rid of it by turning off accounting and rm'ing it, but it came
|> back. Anybody know what it is or how to make it stay gone?

I'm having the same problem.  I rm it daily, but I'd like to make it go away
permenently.  Anyone know what creates it??  Thanks in advance.
btw, I'm on Solaris 2.2..

--

Fluent Inc.  10 Cavendish Court  Lebanon, NH  03766-1442  (603)643-2600

calendar manager problem

Post by Beichang Wa » Sat, 04 Sep 1993 02:53:18

Several days ago I posted same problem and got some answers. I did everything
the answers said but my problem remains. Following are my original problem and
some answers:

My original problem:

> My system is running solaris_2.2 and NIS+. The calendar manager does
> not seem to be working properly on my system.
> When running cm, first a popup window appears and says "Error

> window, the calendar manager icon appears.  But the calendar manager
> window displays no name in header.

Answers:

I am running SunOS 4.1.3 and NIS. I encountered this error in OW3 when
the machine's name configuration was wrong. The "hostname" command
returned a fully-qualified domainname, but the machine thought it was
still just the specific name of the host (tpm-sprl in my case). Once it
was fixed to resolve correctly, and cm was run again, there was no
problem. I don't know if this is your problem, but it looks similar

The problem is that 2.2 calendar manager does not create
/var/spool/calendar/callog.<user>. Put the following in under your
user name, set the permissions to 640 owner=<user> group=<daemon>.
I'm not sure if you need the (access exec ...) rule. Restart rpc.cmsd,
and you're up.

cat << EOF > /var/spool/calendar/callog.bwang
Version: 1
**** start of log on Sat Aug 28 04:01:13 1993 ****

EOF

Beichang Wang,
        Just from the symptom I would guess a permissions problem.  cm is
Dear Beichang Wang,
        Just from the symptom I would guess a permissions problem.  cm is
trying to create a file and cannot.  Check the permissions to make sure cm
can open a file where it is trying to.  Does the calendar file belong in the
user's directory, or somewhere in /usr/spool, or what (I don't run cm myself).

I hope this suggestion helps.

 The calendar manager works after creating /var/spool/calendar/callog.bwang
 file. But only on the machine that has /var/spool/calendar/callog.bwang file.
 There are several dataless machines in my network. Every dataless machine has
 its own /var/spool. This means I need to create callog.bwang file on every
 machine. Is it right? If not, what is the way? I checked permissions of all
 related directriy and files. They are same as what the answerbook said. I
 followed the instrctions in the "Solaris 2.2 Users Guide" to set calendar
 access list, permissions, and switched the nickname and name of the
 hostcomputer, but still can let calendar manager work properly. Is there a
 way to maintain all users calendar information on a server and user can login
 to any machine to run calendar manager correctly?

thanks to all those who answered,

Beichang Wang

 my server

calendar manager problem

Post by Casper H.S. D » Sat, 04 Sep 1993 04:34:43

>|> On a local system here we noticed that /var was getting full. A brief
>|> investigation showed that /var/adm/wtmpx was taking up 9 MB! We hoped
>|> to get rid of it by turning off accounting and rm'ing it, but it came
>|> back. Anybody know what it is or how to make it stay gone?
>|>

>I'm having the same problem.  I rm it daily, but I'd like to make it go away
>permenently.  Anyone know what creates it??  Thanks in advance.
>btw, I'm on Solaris 2.2..

If you remove iut, you must remove /var/adm/wtmp as well.
The wtmp update routines will regenerate the one from the other,
if one is truncated, much older, and such.

I think removing them both may rid you of them permanently.

Casper

calendar manager problem

Post by Larry Williams » Sun, 05 Sep 1993 05:58:34

Almost certainly, sometime since you installed the OS, you have given
your machine a new inet number. This number now no longer agrees with
the corresponding numbers in /etc/saf/tcp/_pmtab.

You should find lines similiar to these in the _pmtab file...

lp::root:reserved:reserved:reserved:::p::/var/spool/lp/fifos/listenS5#
lpd::root:reserved:reserved:reserved:\x00020203c0be4b270000000000000000::p::/var/spool/lp/fifos/listenBSD#
0::root:reserved:reserved:reserved:\x00020ACEc0be4b270000000000000000::c::/usr/lib/saf/nlps_server#

The two long lines of hex numbers include your inet number encoded in
hex. In my case the 'c0be4b27' is my inet number of 192.190.75.39
        192 == c0
        190 == be
        75  == 4b
        39  == 27

do a similiar conversion on your inet numbers, then *carefully*
replace the corresponding digits in these two lines. Make certain that
you don't delete too much, or add in too much, ("wc -c" should report
the same before and after).

Note: the conversion is simple if you use the command "dc" then set
dc's output to hex....

dc
16 o
192 p
190 p
75 p
39 p
^D

is what I did.

Once you have fixed this file, you will have to reboot. I don't
remember if you have to delete the ?tmpx files or not.

-Larry

1. calendar manager problem

Hi,

I have a little problem with the Solaris calendar manager (cm).
I recently moved to a new workstation and tried to install my
old "callog.username" file there, but cm didn't show the entries
of the old file. As a next step, I changed all the entries in the log
file, that included the name of my old computer, by inserting
the new name. But this didn't work either, cm still refuses to
show the old entries.
Furthermore, when I enter a new appointment, cm reports that it
can't write it to the calendar file. But when I list callog, I can
clearly see that the new entry has been appended. This all looks
very strange to me ...

Does anyone here know anything about those problems. Is there a
way to fix them ?

Any hints are appreciated very much, since I want to avoid entering
all my dates and appointments once again. There are a lot of them.

I also checked some FAQs, but I didn't find any solutions there.

  Thank you very much in advance

     P.J.

--
Peter Januschke
PGP Key fingerprint =  7D C3 3D 51 36 72 24 F5  40 33 1A AD FB 86 21 A7

Here, let me help you up, Sir. No, no, it is a tricky bit of floor, that.
Ah, deceptively flat and unimpededly.

(R.Atkinson, "Guys after the Game")

2. Is win95 and samba worth it???

3. calendar manager problems

4. Prioritizing "interactive" connections over SLIP?

5. Calendar Manager, File Manager, and Screenblank

6. SCSI ??

7. WebEvent 3.04 released - Web Calendar, CGI Calendar, WWW Calendar

8. PPP and 3COM 3C562 (PCMCIA)

9. calendar manager daemon problems

10. security problem with OpenLook calendar manager V 3.3

11. Calendar Manager (cm) problems in 2.4

12. Calendar manager- is there one for Linux?

13. Calendar Manager