question.. problem when using tcsh

Post by John E. Keet » Thu, 10 Oct 1996 04:00:00

man shells(4)

% when I use tcsh, SUN server does not accept ftp service.
% server does not ask even password, just disconnect (message:
% Login Failed) after I type my loginid.
% what's the problem?
% I can't understand. plz help me~

--

John Keeton  /  KB0VEH

http://www.umr.edu/~keeton

Post by Marcel Haa » Thu, 10 Oct 1996 04:00:00

> when I use tcsh, SUN server does not accept ftp service.
> server does not ask even password, just disconnect (message:
> Login Failed) after I type my loginid.
> what's the problem?
> I can't understand. plz help me~

You should include tcsh (full path) in /etc/shells,
ftp is only allowed if you use a shell which is
listed in /etc/shells.

Marcel Haan
USoft

1. Problem using TCSH as login shell

I'm aware of the basic differences between TCSH and CSH.
I've grown up with CSH as my login shell (for better and worse!),
but I've been attempting to migrate to TCSH...

I have a stand-alone SGI Indigo workstation (running IRIX 4.0.5--
yes, it's a bit outdated!) and I've installed TCSH version 6.07.02.

Everything works fine except for a few minor, annoying things:

1) When my login shell is CSH, I have no problem becoming super-user...
i.e.

% su

The response I get is:

Password:

and I go from there...no problem.

However, if I run TCSH and try the same thing, I get:

% tcsh
% su
Cannot open /dev/tty

What does this error message mean?  How can I correct this problem?

2) When I use TCSH as my login shell, I can't use the interrupt (^C)
or stop, etc (^Z).  I realize that these settings can be set by
the "stty erase", "stty intr", etc. commands, but the strange thing
is that these things perform as expected when CSH is my login shell,
but don't work when TCSH is my login shell
(and I'm using the same .login file for both)

Any help with these (2) questions would be appreciated...thanks in advance.

_________________________________
Fran Maurais, LOGICON Syscon, Inc.
Groton,CT: phone:(860)449-1829 // fax:(860)449-1938
NUWC,NPT : phone:(401)832-7800 x0 // fax:(401)832-7829

2. SU and c-shell problem

3. Problem using dbxtool under tcsh

4. op.nl.ben_6262@sms.mobileway.com

5. Problem using foreach in csh/tcsh

6. problems connecting win95 via PPP

7. ftp problem if using tcsh ...

8. Drivers for Securelink 1 ISDN card?

9. Problem - testing for interactive vs. non-interactive using tcsh/prompt

10. tcsh 'Word too long' problem (tcsh 6.05, HP/UX)

11. Problem Keyborad mapping on Solaris using Tcsh and Exceed.

12. TCSH Problems/Questions

13. Slackware: a problem(tcsh) and a question (1.05 vs. 1.1)