ftp oprations

Post by u246063.. » Sat, 16 Jun 2001 03:55:38

I have two ultra10/solaris2.8 boxes. They are on the same 10.x.xx.xxx
subnets. On one i can ftp to an outside of the site server but on the
other i can only ftp to hosts inside the site. I have made comparisons
between the resolv.conf, nsswitch.conf, netmasks, networks files in
the /etc directory in two system. I can not find out why?.

--
Sent  by  from yahoo subpart  of com

ftp oprations

Post by Barry Margoli » Sat, 16 Jun 2001 04:35:01

>I have two ultra10/solaris2.8 boxes. They are on the same 10.x.xx.xxx
>subnets. On one i can ftp to an outside of the site server but on the
>other i can only ftp to hosts inside the site. I have made comparisons
>between the resolv.conf, nsswitch.conf, netmasks, networks files in
>the /etc directory in two system. I can not find out why?.

Is it just ftp that has this problem, or also ping, telnet, http, etc.?

If you have 10.x.x.x addresses, you must be using a firewall or NAT, and
maybe it's configured to allow the first box out but not the second.

--

Genuity, Burlington, MA

ftp oprations

Post by Jerry Decke » Sat, 16 Jun 2001 04:41:05

/etc/defaultrouter   maybe?

jd

Quote:> I have two ultra10/solaris2.8 boxes. They are on the same 10.x.xx.xxx
> subnets. On one i can ftp to an outside of the site server but on the
> other i can only ftp to hosts inside the site. I have made comparisons
> between the resolv.conf, nsswitch.conf, netmasks, networks files in
> the /etc directory in two system. I can not find out why?.

> --
> Sent  by  from yahoo subpart  of com
> This is a spam protected message. Please answer with reference header.

ftp oprations

Post by Dave Grantie » Tue, 31 Jul 2001 01:23:35

Are there differences between the /etc/defaultrouter file on each box?

> I have two ultra10/solaris2.8 boxes. They are on the same 10.x.xx.xxx
> subnets. On one i can ftp to an outside of the site server but on the
> other i can only ftp to hosts inside the site. I have made comparisons
> between the resolv.conf, nsswitch.conf, netmasks, networks files in
> the /etc directory in two system. I can not find out why?.

> --
> Sent  by  from yahoo subpart  of com
> This is a spam protected message. Please answer with reference header.

+---------------------+---------------+

+---------------------+---------------+

1. Solaris ftp v Pro-ftp v WU-ftp

One-year newbie Solaris admin here. (And four yrs Linux experience extra,
does
that count extra credit?)

Management thinks they want an internet ftp server for the company.
Whatever,
they're mgt, and 'I serve at their pleasure'.. and paycheck. My questions:

1). why use a package like ProFTP or WU-ftp, instead of Solaris 2.6 ftp,
which
seems to me easy enough to use and cfg? (I'd ask them why, but that'd be
interpreted
as 'a bad thing'.)
2). which FTP is 'better'? I've heard of WU-ftp security holes, but am not
familiar
with Pro-FTP problems.
3). is there a better way to go?

I'm guessing this is for external customer browser convenience, which will
make me
RTFMs soon enough, yet any other comments, suggestions, or insights would be
appreciated. Thank you.

-fgz
(name alias and bogus email adrs to protect the guilty.)

2. Reading VMS-created Tape

3. FTP: New Linux FTP site: ftp.kernel.org

4. Need help with Linksys Gigabit NIC

5. Secure ftp, ftp over stunnel og ftp-ssl.

6. static routes

7. How to connect to an FTP through an FTP-Proxy.

8. Help installing with Ultrastor 24f

9. Can't ftp to Linux box from windows ftp client

10. make a character device /dev/ftp that do ftp

11. Problems with FTP (wu.ftp) HELP!

12. FTP: Looking for source code for FTP client program

13. how do I use the cern ftp proxy with non web ftp clients?