updating Solaris 8 to the latest Java

Post by Sam Carleto » Wed, 08 Aug 2001 00:30:46

Folks,

I am about to install Tomcat on my UltraSPARC that runs Solaris 8.  I
want to make sure I have the most current version of Java on my
machine.  All I have is the Java that came with the OS and any updated
that where done to it in the recommended update I did a few months
back.  When I ran "java -version" from the command line, I am told that
I am running Java 1.2.2.  Isn't 1.3.x the latest?  Or is 1.3 still in
development?

If I am not up to date with Java, how do I go about updating it?

Sam

updating Solaris 8 to the latest Java

Post by Steve Bellen » Wed, 08 Aug 2001 01:31:04

Quote:>Folks,

>I am about to install Tomcat on my UltraSPARC that runs Solaris 8.  I
>want to make sure I have the most current version of Java on my
>machine.  All I have is the Java that came with the OS and any updated
>that where done to it in the recommended update I did a few months
>back.  When I ran "java -version" from the command line, I am told that
>I am running Java 1.2.2.  Isn't 1.3.x the latest?  Or is 1.3 still in
>development?

1.3 is out, Last I looked 1.4 was in development.

Quote:

http://java.sun.com
--
http://www.math.fsu.edu/~bellenot
bellenot <At/> math.fsu.edu

Post by Sam Carleto » Wed, 08 Aug 2001 02:10:21

> 1.3 is out, Last I looked 1.4 was in development.

When I goto java.sun.com, there is a ton of stuff.  There is J2SE and JS2EE
at the top of the download page.  Lower down the page there is hte "Java 2
Platform, Standard Edition Product Family" with a lot of links, there is
"Java 2 Platform, Enterprise Edition" with a lot of links.

What do I really need to download and install to get my v1.2.2 to v1.3?

P.S.  Is my understanding correct, Java 2 = v1.2 and Java 3 = v1.3?

Sam Carleton

Post by Philip Bro » Wed, 08 Aug 2001 02:37:17

>> 1.3 is out, Last I looked 1.4 was in development.

>When I goto java.sun.com, there is a ton of stuff.  There is J2SE and JS2EE
>at the top of the download page.  Lower down the page there is hte "Java 2
>Platform, Standard Edition Product Family" with a lot of links, there is
>"Java 2 Platform, Enterprise Edition" with a lot of links.

>What do I really need to download and install to get my v1.2.2 to v1.3?

"j2se" == v1.3

The word of the day is mispergitude

Post by Rich Tee » Wed, 08 Aug 2001 02:41:52

> When I goto java.sun.com, there is a ton of stuff.  There is J2SE and JS2EE
> at the top of the download page.  Lower down the page there is hte "Java 2
> Platform, Standard Edition Product Family" with a lot of links, there is
> "Java 2 Platform, Enterprise Edition" with a lot of links.

It is confusing, isn't it?!

Quote:> P.S.  Is my understanding correct, Java 2 = v1.2 and Java 3 = v1.3?

Not quite.  Java 2 = v1.2 and later.

--
Rich Teer

President,
Rite Online Inc.

Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

Post by Sam Carleto » Wed, 08 Aug 2001 02:49:52

> >> 1.3 is out, Last I looked 1.4 was in development.

> >When I goto java.sun.com, there is a ton of stuff.  There is J2SE and JS2EE
> >at the top of the download page.  Lower down the page there is hte "Java 2
> >Platform, Standard Edition Product Family" with a lot of links, there is
> >"Java 2 Platform, Enterprise Edition" with a lot of links.

> >What do I really need to download and install to get my v1.2.2 to v1.3?

> "j2se" == v1.3

So I awnt to download j2se, have done that, or at least the patch for Solaris
8.  The file I downloaded was j2sdk-1_3_1-patches-solsparc-5.8.tar.  When I
untared it, I found patch 108921-07 and 108940-12.  I used patchadd to add both
of these.  Then I tried running java -version.  I am still getting v1.2.2.

How do I get from v1.2.2 to v1.3.1?  I would think that Sun has some way I can
simply "update" the machine.  Am I wrong?  Do I need to download the v1.3.1
tar.Z file and change links and paths and a shit load of stuff or does Sun have
something setup that is not so painful?

The question is: How do I update my Solaris 8 machine to Java 1.3.1?  What
EXACTLY should I be downloading from Sun?  If Sun does not spell out what needs
to happen, what needs to happen to get v1.3.1 installed.

Sam Carleton

Post by Reinhard Zierk » Wed, 08 Aug 2001 04:37:37

> So I awnt to download j2se, have done that, or at least the patch for Solaris
> 8.  The file I downloaded was j2sdk-1_3_1-patches-solsparc-5.8.tar.  When I
> untared it, I found patch 108921-07 and 108940-12.  I used patchadd to add both
> of these.  Then I tried running java -version.  I am still getting v1.2.2.

j2sdk-1_3_1-patches-solsparc-5.8.tar are Solaris patches required to run
Java 1.3.1, not the Java software.

Quote:> How do I get from v1.2.2 to v1.3.1?  I would think that Sun has some way I can
> simply "update" the machine.  Am I wrong?  Do I need to download the v1.3.1
> tar.Z file and change links and paths and a shit load of stuff or does Sun have
> something setup that is not so painful?

Get j2sdk-1_3_1-solsparc.tar.Z, unpack it and follow the install
instructions.  This is more ore less a

  pkgadd -d . SUNW*     in the unpack directory

Probably this is hidden in some kind of installation script (I don't
remember exactly as I installed this some time ago).  Afterwards you'll
have directories

  /usr/java1.2          (Old Java 1.2)
  /usr/j2se             (New Java 1.3.1)

and a symbolic link

  /usr/java -> /usr/java1.2

Remove this link and create an new symlink

  ln -s j2se /usr/java

to get /usr/j2se/bin/java as default Java version.  The command

  java --fullversion

should tell you what you've got.

Good luck,
  Reinhard

--
Reinhard Zierke                       Universit?t Hamburg, FB Informatik

updating Solaris 8 to the latest Java

Post by Steve Bellen » Wed, 08 Aug 2001 04:41:19

Quote:>So I awnt to download j2se, have done that, or at least the patch for Solaris
>8.  The file I downloaded was j2sdk-1_3_1-patches-solsparc-5.8.tar.  When I
>untared it, I found patch 108921-07 and 108940-12. I used patchadd to add both
>of these.  Then I tried running java -version.  I am still getting v1.2.2.

>How do I get from v1.2.2 to v1.3.1?  I would think that Sun has some way I can
>simply "update" the machine.  Am I wrong?  Do I need to download the v1.3.1
>tar.Z file and change links and paths and a shit load of stuff or does Sun have
>something setup that is not so painful?

>The question is: How do I update my Solaris 8 machine to Java 1.3.1?  What
>EXACTLY should I be downloading from Sun?  If Sun does not spell out what needs
>to happen, what needs to happen to get v1.3.1 installed.

There are several options. The one I have choosen is to leave /usr/java
alone, install the new java in /usr/local/java1.3 or /opt/java1.3 and
change my path. But then I'm back in system 7 and /usr/java is 1.1 which
is useful for some testing. I believe if you download the `.bin' it
is a shell script which asks where do you want `this' installed.

I would suggest this method to anyone who wanted `EXACT' instructions
as you are not messing with the system installed stuff.
--
http://www.math.fsu.edu/~bellenot
bellenot <At/> math.fsu.edu
+1.850.644.7189 (4053fax)

updating Solaris 8 to the latest Java

Post by John D Groenve » Wed, 08 Aug 2001 06:21:30

Last time I checked, Tomcat only cares about which java you
have first in your PATH environment if you've ignored the docs
and not set JAVA_HOME.
You can run
$ env JAVA_HOME=/usr/j2se bin/tomcat.sh

John

Post by Newbie JrSysAdm » Wed, 08 Aug 2001 06:27:02

> > >When I goto java.sun.com, there is a ton of stuff.  There is J2SE and JS2EE
> > >at the top of the download page.  Lower down the page there is hte "Java 2
> > >Platform, Standard Edition Product Family" with a lot of links, there is
> > >"Java 2 Platform, Enterprise Edition" with a lot of links.

> > >What do I really need to download and install to get my v1.2.2 to v1.3?

> > "j2se" == v1.3

> So I awnt to download j2se, have done that, or at least the patch for Solaris
> 8.  The file I downloaded was j2sdk-1_3_1-patches-solsparc-5.8.tar.  When I
> untared it, I found patch 108921-07 and 108940-12.  I used patchadd to add both
> of these.  Then I tried running java -version.  I am still getting v1.2.2.

> How do I get from v1.2.2 to v1.3.1?  I would think that Sun has some way I can
> simply "update" the machine.  Am I wrong?  Do I need to download the v1.3.1
> tar.Z file and change links and paths and a shit load of stuff or does Sun have
> something setup that is not so painful?

> The question is: How do I update my Solaris 8 machine to Java 1.3.1?  What
> EXACTLY should I be downloading from Sun?  If Sun does not spell out what needs
> to happen, what needs to happen to get v1.3.1 installed.

> Sam Carleton

sam, you have to download the entire j2se package. whatever criticisms
of the sun webpage you have, you absolutely arrived at a menu item
where "complete installation" was the top option. take it. you also
must patch the os.

In the systems being developed here, everything is coded in Java. There
are about 100 Java applications each running its own virtual machine.

I'm supposed to work with test and performance analysis of these systems
and I'm using tools that log system behaviour on process level.

The problem is that all I see is 100 processes named Java with some
small variations in command line parameters.

Is there a safe way to alter the process names either at startup or at
runtime ?
What could be the consequences of doing such a thing ?

//Hans Hagberg

2. PPP

3. Latest SOLARIS News stories - Update every 15 minutes and FREE.

4. enlightenment themes?

5. Solaris 10 - How to update OS to latest build

6. I need Information about AfterStep

7. Java update on Solaris 8

8. ifdown ppp0 problem

9. Latest Java & RH 7.0

10. I need the latest version of the JDK for java on the linux...

11. Linker error "relocations remain", shared object, Solaris, gcc, ld, java, java native interface, cplex

12. Something terribly wrong with RPM or the latest Redhat updates

13. Update the install CDs with the latest patches