how to find the available space on tape?

how to find the available space on tape?

Post by Star Nigh » Fri, 02 Jun 2000 04:00:00

what command to use to find what space is left out on tape for backing
up?

thanks

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Post by Joe Seig » Sat, 03 Jun 2000 04:00:00

> what command to use to find what space is left out on tape for backing
> up?

The scsi command, request sense, should probably do it.  Of course on
Solaris you'll have to write your own driver to issue scsi commands directly
to your tape devices, probably a bit more work than you wanted to do.

Joe Seigh

how to find the available space on tape?

Post by Star Nigh » Sat, 03 Jun 2000 04:00:00

re-posting

Quote:> what command to use to find what space is left out on tape for backing
> up?

> thanks

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

how to find the available space on tape?

Post by Kjetil Torgrim Homm » Tue, 06 Jun 2000 04:00:00

[Star Night]

>   re-posting

>   > what command to use to find what space is left out on tape for backing
>   > up?

AKAIK, it is impossible.  You must keep a tally on how much you have
written to it, but since the tape drive is compressing the data, there
is no fixed amount of space on a tape.

Kjetil T.

1. DAT tape - how much space is available?

I recently installed a Sony SDK-5000 DDS-2 DAT drive.  Since I'm
primarily backing up a very compressible database, I'm using 90M tapes
for a nominal 2.0GB before hardware compression (which, if it's as good
as gzip, should get about 4:1 on our data).

My question is this:  After doing a backup, how can I tell how much
space is used or available on the tape AFTER hardware compression, or in
other words to find out how much compression was achieved?

I know I sent a little over 2.3 GB over the SCSI bus to the tape drive,
but if it's getting even 2:1 compression, I should have room for a
number of differential backups AFTER the setmark on the tape.   If it's
not getting very much compression, the tape is almost full.

If it matters, I'm using SCO Open Network Server (SCO Unix 3.2v4.2), and
a BusLogic BT747 EISA to SCSI adapter.

Thanks much!
Mark Rafn

2. Newbie In trouble

3. Available space on DLT tape

4. Spanning a Single File Over Multiple Tapes under Solaris 2.6

5. Space Available on Filesystem -- HOW TO FIND?

6. script improvements help

7. Finding available disk space??

8. cola stats for the last 7 days

9. AIX 4.2 How do I find is physical space available

10. Is there a better way to find the available disk space from a C program

11. linux fdisk can't find available disk space

12. Out of disk space though df/du show space available

13. Try to mount a seocn SWAP space-- error" unable to find swap space signature"