Solaris X86 2.1 comm ports

Post by Michael Gur » Sun, 21 Aug 1994 21:37:34

what is the name of Com2 please? In SCO it would be /dev/tty2a
or/dev/tty2A. I could not figure out from /dev which entry corresponds to
Com2.

thank you.

Michael Gurr

Solaris X86 2.1 comm ports

Post by ARC.. » Mon, 22 Aug 1994 03:18:29

>what is the name of Com2 please? In SCO it would be /dev/tty2a
>or/dev/tty2A. I could not figure out from /dev which entry corresponds to
>Com2.
>thank you.
>Michael Gurr

Michael,
  There are really two device files for each serial port, one for dial-out
and one for dial-in/terminal usage. The dial-out lines are in the directory
/dev/cua/ and the dial-in lines are in /dev/term/. The files in those
directories are named by the relative letter: port 1 = file a, port 2 =
file b, .... So /dev/term/b is the terminal device for com2, and /dev/cua/a
is the modem device on com1.
  To get this to work correctly, you need to get the port manager system
running for those ports (pmadm(1M) and sacadm(1M) with ttyadm(1M)). The
man pages can help, but I've found that "Celeste's Guide to Terminals &
Modems under Solaris 2.x" to be the most help, as well as the "Solaris
Advanced System Administrator's Guide" Ch. 9 and App B.
  Let me know if you need specific's with pmadm.
        - Arcege
--

Solaris X86 2.1 comm ports

Post by Michael Gur » Mon, 22 Aug 1994 22:21:13

I much appreciate the time taken to put together your answer. I have not
used pmadm at all. Basically I want to get my newer machine into the same
comms. state that the notebook I am typing this on is in. I am used to
SCO Unix but have not used it for several years. It seems from memory to
be much easier than the Sun Solaris X86. I have the EA2 CDs but have not
loaded them yet. The other problem I have is getting a basic comms.
program on to Solaris to access CIX & Internet. I have all kinds of
things in Windows & almost despair of getting the Unix into a similar
state. I have AMEOL for CIX, PCANYWHERE for remote clients, DIS for Demon
Internet & Mosaic, Cello, Archie, Gopher, WS-FTP et al. I am stuck to get
started on Unix. At least Windows starts with a terminal program!

I have C-Kermit 5A source & a C compiler but the makefile does not appear
to work. I hacked it OK several years ago on SCO to get Kermit working
fine. I find the concept of a make file with all it's flags & settings
too duanting for words.

Any help will be most appreciated.

regards

Michael Gurr

Solaris X86 2.1 comm ports

Post by Willard F. Daws » Mon, 22 Aug 1994 23:56:50

>I much appreciate the time taken to put together your answer. I have not
>used pmadm at all. Basically I want to get my newer machine into the same
>comms. state that the notebook I am typing this on is in. I am used to
>SCO Unix but have not used it for several years. It seems from memory to
>be much easier than the Sun Solaris X86.

Lemme get this straight... you have a system, you want to administer it,
but you haven't even bothered to read the documentation.  Now, did I get
that right?

Quote:>I have the EA2 CDs but have not
>loaded them yet. The other problem I have is getting a basic comms.
>program on to Solaris to access CIX & Internet. I have all kinds of
>things in Windows & almost despair of getting the Unix into a similar
>state. I have AMEOL for CIX, PCANYWHERE for remote clients, DIS for Demon
>Internet & Mosaic, Cello, Archie, Gopher, WS-FTP et al. I am stuck to get
>started on Unix. At least Windows starts with a terminal program!

Would you *please* quit talking about how much you like Windows!  If you
think it's so good, go back to it.

Quote:>I have C-Kermit 5A source & a C compiler but the makefile does not appear
>to work.

Be more verbose.  I had no problems whatsoever compiling kermit.  What
problems did you have compiling kermit?

Quote:>I hacked it OK several years ago on SCO to get Kermit working
>fine. I find the concept of a make file with all it's flags & settings
>too duanting for words.

Perhaps you should hire a software professional, rather than playing
with things you don't understand.  If your complaint is that free
software doesn't cater to your specific foibles, well, take that up with
the authors of those programs, not with Sun, or with us.  FWIW, you
should not have to hack the Makefile at all to compile kermit under
Solaris, assuming you have the latest sources.  You might have to *read*
the Makefile, but that assumes you can (read, that is).

I'm sorry if I come across as some harsh, uncaring bastard.  But, I
really don't wanna read about Windows or UnixWare or TOS or whatever,
and how much better they are than this Solaris stuff, and how come all
this software doesn't magically work, right out of the box.  Of course,
if Sun does expect to sell Solaris in a PC environment, and compete with
MS Windows 4.0, they'd better get their act together, especially with
regards to installation and configuration.  But, it is my opinion that
Sun never expects to compete with Windows.  No, x86 is just a bone
tossed to us software professionals , so that we can play with something
geeky at home without investing in mondo-expensive hardware, in the same
way that Sun-3 equipment was tossed to the educational environment --
with visions of leveraged sales down the road.  They can't honestly hope
to make any serious cash off this x86 dead-end path, can they?  Oh, well,
if the Power-PC port is made easier by the x86 effort, perhaps they can...