Need information about Kernel Memory Allocation

Need information about Kernel Memory Allocation

Post by Dujruathai Lujanan » Wed, 09 Apr 1997 04:00:00

        Hi,

        I'm doing my project about "Kernel Memory Allocation"
        Anybody knows where can I find information about it?

        Thanks in advance.

Post by David Robins » Wed, 09 Apr 1997 04:00:00

>    I'm doing my project about "Kernel Memory Allocation"
>    Anybody knows where can I find information about it?

For the Solaris kernel memory allocator see the paper:

"The Slab Allocator: An Object-Caching Kernel Memory Allocator" by Jeff Bonwick

http://www.usenix.org/publications/library/proceedings/bos94/bonwick....

1. Memory allocation and de-allocation

Hi,

I have a simple C program that allocates a bunch of memory and free's it
immediately.
When I run this program, I do not see this memory being reclaimed by the
OS(as observed
by top-5.6). A similar program on Windows NT works as expected(i.e memory
usage
decreases when memory is free'd).

Any ideas why??

Appreciate any advise you can offer..

Regards,

// Here is a code snippet:

int main(int argc, char** argv)
{
    if (argc == 2)
     {
        int num_chunks = atoi(argv[1])/1000;
        char **buffer[1000];

        for (i=0; i<=num_chunks; i++)
         {
            buffer[i] = (char *) malloc(1000);
            free(buffer[i]);
         }
       return 0;
    }
  printf("Usage!! %s <memory size> \n",argv[0]);

2. Problem with pci modem

3. Need to check available memory for allocation

4. How do I get one line from a file?

5. kernel memory allocation with alignment

6. Looking for 2U rackmount cases for Linux systems

7. kernel 2.3.6 - memory allocation errors?

8. Fatal trap 12 in kernel with Freebsd 5.0 6/16/2000

9. need efficient memory allocation algorithm

10. Kernel memory allocation question

11. Dynamic memory allocation in the Linux Kernel

12. Memory allocation in kernel

13. kernel memory allocation with alignment